How to remove linux 10.1 and reinstall Winow

Closed
Dayal - May 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 12, 2011 at 11:23 AM
Hello,

I wish to go back to Window XP on my notebook PC on which I had installed Linux 10.1 recently. Window XP cd does not recognise the hard disk at all. What needs to bedone. Eventually I would like my PC to dual boot with Linux on one partition and XP on anpther? Any suggestion?

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 12, 2011 at 11:23 AM
The hard disk is formatted for Linux. Windows XP does not recognize this formatting. You can boot from a Linux CD and format the disk using FAT32 or NTFS. You can also use a progrma called Killdisk to erase the disk and start over.

Once you have XP installed then you can install Linux and have a dual boot machine.

Here are detailed instructions I found on Kioskea:

1. Use another PC to download "Kill Disk" Windows version from https://www.killdisk.com/eraser.html
The free version is good enough, unless you work for CIA / KGB and need higher security than normal humans.
Install the application on that other PC and now you can create a bootable KillDisk CD. So burn that into a CD.

2. Now go to that cursed PC running Linux and boot from this KillDisk CD you created.
In the menu select KillDisk. You will see your HDD - select it and then press F10.
In the free version you can only use the default "Erases with one-pass zeros" and that is MORE THAN ENOUGH.
Now it will prompt you to type the command to erase the HDD. Type exactly as shown on the menu and press enter.
Voila - Ubuntu or any other damn Linux goes to its grave in under 20 minutes depending upon your system specifications.

3. Menu shows a blank HDD with no formatting or anything else. Exit the KillDisk menu and remove CD. To Nuke the HDD is the confirmed way of destroying Linux OS.

4. Now get the Ubuntu 9.04 boot CD or any other Linux OS - I used Ubuntu 9.04 which was installed and nuked.
So boot from this Ubuntu 9.04 and go to Live CD

5. Now use:
System -> Administration -> Partition Editor -> GParted -> Partition -> New NTFS or FAT 32
I chose FAT 32 to be on the safe side
Now "Apply" those changes in GParted menu button.
Make sure you have formatted the entire HDD with FAT32 - a single partition. This must be your primary.

6. Now exit Ubuntu Live CD and eject its boot CD

7. OK, now your WinXP CD is almost ready to install on the PC with a blank HDD.

8. Insert the WinXP CD and boot - press F2 to go to the BIOS Settings.

9. If you have a newer laptop: In BIOS Settings change HDD from AHCI to IDE.
It has to be IDE or your WinXP CD will cry and piss on its own shoes and yours.

10. Now press F10 to save and exit and continue boot from CD

11. WinXP menu comes, click away - see the blank FAT32 HDD - select your choice of partition - maintain FAT 32 or use NTFS.
I spent the time and made it into NTFS during installation.

12. Then follow the menu options and you are done.