Ext HDD dead?

Closed
dave_h - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:54 AM
dave_h Posts 1 Registration date Sunday June 5, 2011 Status Member Last seen June 6, 2011 - Jun 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM
Hey everyone,

I am having a problem with an external 500GD WD (usb powered) hard drive.

The drive is about 4 months and I have not had any problems until messed with it.

Basically the drive was partitioned with on one partition whilst the other was being encrypted as a TrueCrypt volume.

I was running Ubuntu off the drive and tried to encrypt the other partition useing TrueCrypt, but as I was running my OS on the same drive it was extremely slow (as in 5 days remaining). I then tried to cancel TrueCrypt and TrueCrypt crashed, from memory I had to do a hard reset.

From this point on I cant see the harddrive on XP, Windows 7 (second PC) its not available in Device Manager /Disk Management. I cant boot from my Ubuntu partition. Another drive running ubuntu cant see the harddrive.

Other external drives work fine on the computer, in both windows and ubuntu. I have also tried another cable.

Im thinking that the drive has died (it has power and you can feel it spinning),

Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM
I would try a program like killdisk that will wipe the drive clean before I decide the drive is dead.

Good Luck
dave_h Posts 1 Registration date Sunday June 5, 2011 Status Member Last seen June 6, 2011
Jun 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM
Thanks for the tip xpcman but windows (device manager) cant see the drive so killdisk could not see it.

Seems a good program though so thanks anyhow