Windows has no drivers, please help!

Solved/Closed
Luis - Jul 25, 2011 at 02:34 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jul 28, 2011 at 06:56 PM
Hello,

So I got a new lenovo laptop, and i tried to put my old HDD, which was on an HP, into it. It stays on a black screen with a little white line at the top left flashing. It can stay like that for hours. If i boot the HDD as USB it asks me if i wanna boot in recovery. When I do it loads some drivers and goes into the blue screen.

I cant restore the disk because i have very important info and software which i can't loose!

Driver issues? What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 28, 2011 at 04:17 PM
You can't transfer a bootable hard disk between dissimilar PCs. I suggest you reassemble the new PC with the original parts and then buy a USB hard disk adapter for the old hard drive. You can then access the data from the old drive (But, not boot from it).

Good Luck
Ok, but how about the programs i had? Are they lost?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 28, 2011 at 06:43 PM
Probably. Most Windows programs need to be installed. They can't simply be copied from one PC to another. If you downloaded the programs with the installer and you left the download on the old hard drive. Then you can install them on the new PC. If these were commercial programs then you need the CDs they came on. Programs like Microsoft office have a serial number that is hidden on the hard disk. Google "magical JellyBean" to find a download for a program that will display the key. Then you can use a copy of the software CD any YOUR key to install it.

Good Luck
Thanks a lot! I have a lot of info on outlook though, will i loose that?

thanks
Jul 28, 2011 at 06:56 PM
Probably not. You will need to do some research on where to find the data on the old hard disk and the exact procedure to copy it. But, you should be able to copy it into the new computer. Of course, any mail that is saved on the server will always be available.