Wireless router wont work in a new location

Closed
help me - Aug 17, 2011 at 05:46 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:06 PM
Hello, my laptop and router worked perfectly in my apartment in Calgary, AB. When i brought it to my home in Vancouver, BC.. the internet no longer connects. I have brought this router home many times, and have simply plugged it in and the internet has connected, So I am not sure what is wrong this time...

The network shows, and has full strength and says "connected" however the globe in the right bottom corner of the screen does not show, and if I go to a page it says "cannot be displayed". The internet is working fine when connected to a desktop computer. The laptop is able to connect to other avail networks, just not mine. So the problem is with the router for sure.

Please help!

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 17, 2011 at 06:13 PM
Most routers have a reset switch the the back. You use a pencil or a bent paper clip to push down the contact. Hold it in for 30 seconds to reset the router to factory settings. this might fix things. You will need to set-up the security key again so you will need to know the default admin log-in. You can Google "default router" to find the proper one values.

Good Luck
hi, thanks for your reply. will i need to re install the whole router again if i do this (create a new network? and will i need the installation CD?) thanks.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 17, 2011 at 10:06 PM
you can download most install software from the router manufacturer. You just want to do the part that sets the keyword and network name. They can be done by logging on to the router through your browser.
This site gives good instructions:
https://www.lifewire.com/change-default-password-on-router-818075

You might still have a hardware problem with the router. Mine always fail after 3 or 4 years.