Black screen with cursor

Closed
Beth - Aug 21, 2011 at 08:29 PM
 Seag - Sep 1, 2011 at 07:33 PM
Hello,

Can you please help? I was trying to update my Rosetta Stone program on my HP Pavillion p6140f 64 bit (which was recently upgraded to Windows 7) and the screeen went black with only the cursor appearing. I tried to reboot in safe mode and it loads the windows files and then to the Microsoft Corp then to the black screen with the cursor. I left it at this for over two hours to see if it was doing something and it did nothing. I tried to reboot once again not in safe mode this time. It once again gave me a black screen with cursor. Can you offer me any assistance, please???

Related:

1 response

Anonymous User
Aug 22, 2011 at 01:22 AM
Hello,

First try this 1
Go to BIOS --> Make sure your hard disk is detected in the BIOS --> Set the first boot device as hard disk -->
Save the settings and exit from the BIOS.

If the solution above does not work, let's try this but we will do this blindly:

1) Restart your PC

2) Logon and wait for the black screen to appear

3) Make Ctrl + Alt + Del: nothing appears on screen, yet the task manager was opened. We'll have to do the rest in the dark, and this is where we thank the keyboard shortcuts) (to be safe, you can do the same operation on another pc to side to see what it does)

4) Make Alt + F: it opens the File menu of Task Manager, but we still see nothing

5) Type Enter: it opens the "Create a new job, " but we still see nothing

6) Type "cmd" then "Enter "

7) Then restart your pc It rebooted normally, and all is well.

Good Luck!
Please tell me how to get to the BIOS screen. I cannot login on my computer because the black screen comes up before I get to the log in screen. Thank you for your help.
What does opening the Command dialog do if you aren't entering any commands???

Anyway, Beth when you see any of these combinations (or similar) of words:

Press [key] to enter setup
Setup: [key]
Enter BIOS by pressing [key]
Press [key] to enter BIOS setup
Press [key] to access BIOS
Press [key] to access system configuration

during the first 0-10 seconds after you restart the computer,

PRESS THAT BUTTON QUICKLY

That should get you where you need to go. Then simply follow the directions listed in the beginning of bionik's' post above.

Good Luck!