Windows XP "freezes" during boot

Closed
Fatal Warrior Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 30, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 1, 2011 - Aug 30, 2011 at 04:01 PM
Fatal Warrior Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 30, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 1, 2011 - Sep 1, 2011 at 01:22 PM
Good Evening.
I have a HP Pavilion dv5000 laptop, bought in July, 2006. When I press the power button, the laptop shows me the 1st screen (with the HP logo). However, instead of proceeding to show the Windows logo and such, it shows me a black screen, with a white square in the top right corner, and two words ("English" and "Deutsch", with flags that don't name the language). As of that moment, I get no response from individual keyboard keys (though the ctrl+alt+del combo works).
If I press the power button, it shuts down immediately. In the 1st screen, I can access two menus - "Bios Setup" and "Boot Menu" (F10 and Esc. I have no response from F8 or F11). This is the info I can obtain from those menus.

Boot Menu
1.ATAPI CD/DVD ROM Drive
2.Notebook Hard Drive
<Enter Setup>
[Those 2 options have no effect]

BIOS Setup
Main
Processor Type - Genuine Intel (R) CPU T2400
Processor Speed - 1.83GHz
Bios Version F.24
System Configuration
Embedded WLAN Device Radio - [Enable]
Embedded Bluetooth Device - [Enable]
SATA Native Support - [Enable]
Virtualization Technology - [Disable]
CD-Rom Boot - [Enable]
Floppy Boot - [Enable]
Internal Network Adapter Boot - [Enable]
Boot Order
1: USB Floppy
2: Atapi CD/DVD ROM Drive
3: Notebok Hard Drive
4: USB Diskette on Key
5: USB Hard Drive
[The "Primary Hard Disk Self Test" doesn't show any type of problem]

Due to the 5 years time, I no longer have the original CD. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Edit: typo
Related:

1 response

kevin_techno Posts 45 Registration date Tuesday August 2, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 5, 2011 7
Sep 1, 2011 at 09:04 AM
Solution here:

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/19296-windows-xp-freezes-startup-boot.html

hope it will slove the issue
Fatal Warrior Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 30, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 1, 2011
Sep 1, 2011 at 01:22 PM
Thanks for trying. Unfortunely it doesn't really apply to my case.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/816873 -> Can't see a Restoring Network Connections task. Solution doesn't apply

As I said before I don't have the CD. F8 and F11 won't work. I don't have the means to back up the drive by myself, and taking it to the "professionals" is my last resort, which I want to avoid as much as possible.