Windows Updates Disaster - Please Help!

Closed
ghola8 - Oct 31, 2011 at 01:02 AM
BRON13 Posts 4 Registration date Thursday January 19, 2012 Status Member Last seen January 19, 2012 - Jan 19, 2012 at 04:11 AM
Hello,

Recently (the last two weeks), my laptop has continuously tried to perform updates. At first, the updates simply failed. Then, they crashed my computer every time they tried to update. Now I can't use my computer at all, as I get the blue screen of death shortly after turning it on each time. How can I save my computer from this update-induced disaster?

Thanks
Related:

11 responses

Anonymous User
Oct 31, 2011 at 01:39 AM
please write down the actual errorcode and post it down here

Example:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xxxxxxxxx, 0xxxxxxxxxx, 0x8xxxxxxx, 0x00000000).

It should be something like this
I was unable to get any error reports from my computer - it started up today (mostly) alright. The event logs are blank and/or unable to load. ALL troubleshooters on my computer, and I've tried them all, encounter an "unexpected error": error code 0x80070002.

Unfortunately, this is all the information I've been able to find.

Two programs have quit working, as well - ToasterLauncher and GfxUI.
Maybe try format the harddrive and install micosoft again.
Anonymous User
Oct 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM
Run this fixit

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/D/83DA9B2F-3246-4C1E-996B-1381F667247D/MicrosoftEasyFix50202.msi

There are two modes:default and aggressive

If default still shows error then run it in aggressive mode too

Also go to C:/windows/minidump folder

Upload the minidump file to

https://authentification.site

and paste the link here
The fixit seems to have worked as far as the updates go, but after they updated, I had to restart my computer - which will now not start up. Repair Startup attempts to fix the problem each time, but cannot. The system restore option simply restarts the computer, thereby sending me back to the beginning of the problem.

The error for the Repair Startup is:
StartupRepairOffline
AutoFailover
NoRootCause

Argh.
Anonymous User
Nov 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM
Try this

command prompt in Recovery options

Enter administrator password and then type this

bootrec /fixboot

Enter

If that doesnt work try this

Run these commands in command prompt

cd c:\WINDOWS\WinSxS

del pending.xml

Restart your PC
I ran all three commands; the first two completed successfully, while the computer couldn't find pending.xml. After restarting, it still required a startup repair (with the same failure response as above).

I was able to use a system restore to access the minidump folder earlier, but when I tried uploading them, I was told I don't have access, even though I'm the admin.

(Thanks for all your help, by the way. Don't give up on me!)
I don't know if this will help, but additionally, I've gotten this error code when using System Restore - 0x800700b7.
BRON13 Posts 4 Registration date Thursday January 19, 2012 Status Member Last seen January 19, 2012
Jan 19, 2012 at 03:56 AM
Hello Sundar7701, this same event happened to me 2 days ago -

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xxxxxxxxx, 0xxxxxxxxxx, 0x8xxxxxxx, 0x00000000).

I tried a system restore 11 times with different dates and no good

I tried your advice: bootrec /fixboot

then tried a repair going back to system restore date of December 20th

that got an error of "An unspecified error occurred during system restore (0x800700b7)

can you advise next steps please,

Thank you, Elaine (Sony Vaio owner since November 2010) I live in the US
BRON13 Posts 4 Registration date Thursday January 19, 2012 Status Member Last seen January 19, 2012
Jan 19, 2012 at 04:00 AM
I get the ADMIN prompt of

X:\windows\system32>
Jan 19, 2012 at 04:04 AM
cd c:\WINDOWS\WinSxS

gives the error message cannot find the path specified
Anonymous User
Nov 1, 2011 at 04:44 PM
Run this

chkdsk /r

in command prompt,restart and check
Well, things just got a lot worse. I don't think it had anything to do with the chkdsk /r, which I did run and received this response: "The type of file is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk check on this volume because it is write protected."

After rebooting, I attempted to do a system restore. Since, as previously mentioned, Startup Repair doesn't work, system restore has been the only way to get my computer running at all. Now, however, it says that there are no restore points that I can use, despite there being a large number in the past.

Help!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Anonymous User
Nov 3, 2011 at 01:34 AM
I'm sorry use this command and see if it works

chkdsk c: /f /r
Don't be sorry, you're helping me the best you can and I appreciate it.

I tried the above command and received this message:
This volume is in use by another process. Check disk may run if this volume is dismounted. All open handles would then be invalid. Would you like to force dismount of this volume? Y/N:

I'm opting for Y, since it's possibly progress, but I'll wait on your word. Thanks again.
Jan 19, 2012 at 04:11 AM
tried this step and completed with info:

102399 KB disk space
0 bad sectors
3235 KB in use by the system
2048 KB occupied by log file
76956 KB availabe

failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50
Anonymous User
Nov 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM
Go ahead and press yes

run it and let me know
I ran this yesterday while I was at work - at some point it restarted my computer, which then began startup repairs once more. This time, however, rather than failing, it has been "repairing disk errors". This seems like a good sign, except that it's been going for over 8 hours now - should it take this long, and is that a good thing to begin with?
Anonymous User
Nov 5, 2011 at 01:10 PM
ghola8

Lets wait,let me know at what stage it is
All it says is "Attempting repairs..." and then below, still says, "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete."

Previously, before it restarted, the checkdisk had been at 11% and had deleted and checked numerous files.
I had a sneaking suspicion that something went wrong the first time, so I re-started the check disk, which is now in Stage 1 - 4% complete, processing file records.
Okay, so the checkdisk finally finished! I'm not sure what to write here (there's a lot), but it does say that:
- It replaced bad clusters.
- Corrected errors in the master file table's DATA attribute.
- Corrected errors in the Volume Bitmap.
- Made corrections to the file system.
- Unable to obtain a handle to the event log.
Anonymous User
Nov 7, 2011 at 07:02 PM
Can you boot into normal mode now?

If not try to boot into safemode?
I tried booting it normally, but it was unable to start, and is trying to run Startup Repair now. It did start up differently (as in going farther) than any other time in the past, so even if it's not working, something has definitely changed.

Should I abandon the Startup Repair and try to boot into safe mode? If I do, what should I do then?
Anonymous User
Nov 8, 2011 at 11:43 PM
I think its better to stop there.,Can you try to connect your harddrive to another computer and see if you can access it.If possible back up your datas and format it
Sorry about the delay in the response - I did stop the system restore and my laptop's been off for over two days now. I'm unsure how to hook up the harddrive to another computer or how to back up my data without accessing the OS itself - is there a way to save what I had on the computer? I had some of it backed up on an external HD, but I hadn't backed it up recently and I hope not to lose many items.
It took me awhile to be able to get all the components I needed to try this, but I was finally able to this morning.

Everything seemed to be going fine until Linux was booting up from the disk, and I received this error:

/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
Anonymous User
Nov 30, 2011 at 01:05 AM
When the bootup screen appears, press F6
Type the following: acpi=off irqpoll
Press the Enter key and continue