WD elements Hard DriveT1

Closed
The Goth - Nov 1, 2011 at 03:22 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 1, 2011 at 05:13 PM
Hello, I've just bought a WD Elements T1 external hard drive to back up my Classic Mac and vista on my laptop and was assured at PC World that it would do the job PROVIDING I formatted for the Mac first. When I plugged the Mac in it was recognized immediately and I dropped several folders and all went well. But when I disconnected the Mac replugged and restarted the PC no connection appeared on the desktop. It would appear that the formatting that came with the Hard drive had been wiped on using the Mac. Can you confirm that the WD Elements can read from both Mac and PC and how can I format for the PC without losing everything I've backed up from the Mac.
Thank you in anticipation,
Alaric

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 1, 2011 at 05:13 PM
The Mac and PC use different formats. The only common format is FAT32 but you can't format a 1T drive in VISTA unless you use a DOS command. You will need to reformat the Mac volume (with loss of all data) and partition and format in Vista.

I suggest you use the free disk tools from www.easeus.com to delete the Mac partition and format it in FAT32. Or you can try the following:

Since I have both PC and Mac, I need to format the hard drive in FAT32 filesystem and by Windows Vista's disk management, it doesn't give you the option to format with FAT32, only in NTFS. That's no good because Mac cannot write to NTFS, it can only read the filesystem. With some Googling, there is a turnaround to this. The command line is your solution.

1. Go to `run' from the start button and type `cmd' to bring up the command window.
2. Type this in the command line: format (Drive letter): /FS:FAT32
for the E drive it would be E: /FS:FAT32

That's all! The format process will take a while, at least it will give you the percent it's completing at.

Good Luck