My Western Digital My Cloud NAS drive has a red light on

Solved/Closed
SandraLewisFrin Posts 2 Registration date Thursday February 17, 2022 Status Member Last seen April 20, 2022 - Mar 9, 2022 at 05:41 AM
Irina2207 Posts 46 Registration date Friday January 21, 2022 Status Member Last seen June 26, 2023 - Mar 14, 2022 at 01:15 AM
My hard drive isn't spinning, and I was hoping someone could tell me how to get the data off of it. I've considered taking it apart to see if it still works, but I've never done anything like that before. If anyone has any videos or software I could use, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your kind words.
Related:

1 response

Irina2207 Posts 46 Registration date Friday January 21, 2022 Status Member Last seen June 26, 2023 34
Mar 14, 2022 at 01:15 AM
Unfortunately, there’s nothing you can do on your own when you have a hard drive that’s not spinning up. This is because there’s nothing you can do to repair your hard drive or replace whatever is broken inside it.

So what do you do if you have a lot of files on your hard drive–whether it’s your PC’s internal hard disk or an external drive–that you didn’t have backed up? Are they gone forever?

Not quite. There’s still a chance you can get your data back–and that’s by sending your hard drive to a professional data recovery lab.

OR Option 1. Check the Power Surge/Supply
If there is a burning smell on your hard drive, your hard drive may suffer from a power surge, which can damage the PCB on your hard drive. In this case, you need to further figure out which component is damaged and replace the component with the one on the same and functional PCB.

Option 2; Troubleshoot PCB
A hard drive's PCB, or Printed Circuit Board, allows electricity to pass between various components that allow the hard drive to function. The main components on a PCB include Main Controller IC (works like the CPU), Motor Controller Chip, Cache Chip, ROM/BIOS, Board Number, and TVS Diodes. The burning of any of these components will result in HDD failure, including the hard drive not spinning.

Option 3: Fix Stuck Disk Head
Problematic disk head will also lead to serious issues like hard drive clicking and the one in discussion: hard drive not spinning. When a disk is not in use, the disk head should park on the landing zone. Thus, if you remove the top cover of the hard drive and see the disk head stuck on the platter, that is the culprit of why your hard drive won't spin.

There are various data recovery company in the market that you can choose from like Easeus, Stellar Data recovery company, & Recoverit etc.