Registration date
Wednesday November 30, 2011
Status
Last seen
November 30, 2011
-
 Trey -
Hello,

I have a gateway laptop and recently my screen just went black and had a white blinking dash at the top left corner! I have no idea what is wrong with it but I was told I needed to reboot it! I tried doing it(alt f10 repeatedly)and nothing happens... I have lost all the cds that came with the computer and I dont know what to do can someone please help?

1 reply

Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
The dash is called a "cursor".

Do you get the Gateway logo displayed on the screen then the cursor? If so - then your hard drive has probably failed and it's time to take it to a repair shop.

Good Luck
Yup thats exactly what happens! Do u know how much somth.g like that would cist to be fixed? And also when they do fix it is everything going to be lost? Thank you for ur help!
Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
depending on the size of the hard drive - I would guess about $200 for a new drive and labor to re-install Windows. Some (perhaps all) of your existing data might be recovered. But, that could cost hundreds more.

Good Luck
My HP Mini isn't working properly. I have splash web, so I can still get on the internet. When I press the START WINDOWS button in the bottom left corner, it goes to a black screen with a white "blinking cursor" in the top left corner. That's all it does, and I really miss my documents and webcam on the normal screen. (I'm on splash web right now.) It doesn't give the logo. It goes straight to the black screen and cursor.
Registration date
Friday September 27, 2013
Status
Last seen
September 27, 2013

When I encountered a similar problem, I followed different trouble shooting tips and nothing worked, My computer had suddenly turned itself off and when I turned it back on again, all I got was a black screen with a white flashing cursor. I couldn't force turn it off,... it just stayed on & I didn't get the Gateway screen. After over 30 minutes trying to get it to work, I took out the battery and when I put it back in, I got a recovery screen and pressed enter. I hope this helps somebody!
I just wait when the screen is blank with nothing but the cursor and it recovers, even with the gateway screen appears before.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

The Best of CCM in Your Inbox

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!