Gateway screen black with flashing white dash

Closed
Nikki Roberts Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday November 30, 2011 Status Member Last seen November 30, 2011 - Nov 30, 2011 at 07:21 PM
 Trey - Aug 5, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Hello,

I have a gateway laptop and recently my screen just went black and had a white blinking dash at the top left corner! I have no idea what is wrong with it but I was told I needed to reboot it! I tried doing it(alt f10 repeatedly)and nothing happens... I have lost all the cds that came with the computer and I dont know what to do can someone please help?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Nov 30, 2011 at 11:07 PM
The dash is called a "cursor".

Do you get the Gateway logo displayed on the screen then the cursor? If so - then your hard drive has probably failed and it's time to take it to a repair shop.

Good Luck
Yup thats exactly what happens! Do u know how much somth.g like that would cist to be fixed? And also when they do fix it is everything going to be lost? Thank you for ur help!
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Dec 2, 2011 at 01:30 PM
depending on the size of the hard drive - I would guess about $200 for a new drive and labor to re-install Windows. Some (perhaps all) of your existing data might be recovered. But, that could cost hundreds more.

Good Luck
My HP Mini isn't working properly. I have splash web, so I can still get on the internet. When I press the START WINDOWS button in the bottom left corner, it goes to a black screen with a white "blinking cursor" in the top left corner. That's all it does, and I really miss my documents and webcam on the normal screen. (I'm on splash web right now.) It doesn't give the logo. It goes straight to the black screen and cursor.
hopingtohelp Posts 1 Registration date Friday September 27, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2013
Sep 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM
When I encountered a similar problem, I followed different trouble shooting tips and nothing worked, My computer had suddenly turned itself off and when I turned it back on again, all I got was a black screen with a white flashing cursor. I couldn't force turn it off,... it just stayed on & I didn't get the Gateway screen. After over 30 minutes trying to get it to work, I took out the battery and when I put it back in, I got a recovery screen and pressed enter. I hope this helps somebody!
I just wait when the screen is blank with nothing but the cursor and it recovers, even with the gateway screen appears before.