Dell D400 no boot up green A light flashs

Closed
computerbot Posts 3 Registration date Monday 12 December 2011 Status Member Last seen 12 December 2011 - 12 Dec 2011 à 08:38
xpcman Posts 19528 Registration date Wednesday 8 October 2008 Status Contributor Last seen 15 June 2019 - 12 Dec 2011 à 18:54
Hello,

Dell d400 Latitude laptop not booting up
Hi Something has gone wrong with my laptop-It starts to load then reverts to the blue windows screen where u have to press "owner"-it starts to load (personal settings etc) then keeps going back to the blue "owner" screen-I pressed F12 and theres a beeping and a failure indicated;
DST Short Test
test results: Fail
Error code 1000-0142
msg: unit 0:DST 10g
contains previous error(s)

Which I think means hard drive unreadable-corrupted!! Help!!
Can I get the data off this?? I have 4 years of information on it!!
I would be grateful for any advice to can give-
CB
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19528 Registration date Wednesday 8 October 2008 Status Contributor Last seen 15 June 2019 1,824
12 Dec 2011 à 16:30
You may be able to get some/all of the information off of the drive. I would suggest using the drive in an external enclosure and connecting it to another machine to see if you can grab the data you need.

You could also try booting the laptop with something like a Linux Live CD or BartPE CD to see if you can copy some of the data off.

In the future you need a backup strategy to avoid data loss.

Good Luck
computerbot Posts 3 Registration date Monday 12 December 2011 Status Member Last seen 12 December 2011
12 Dec 2011 à 17:33
Can I use a USB stick instead of a CD? If so could u explain exactly step by step -thanks for any help!
xpcman Posts 19528 Registration date Wednesday 8 October 2008 Status Contributor Last seen 15 June 2019 1,824
12 Dec 2011 à 18:54
I doubt you can configure that old Dell to boot from a USB flash drive.
computerbot Posts 3 Registration date Monday 12 December 2011 Status Member Last seen 12 December 2011
12 Dec 2011 à 17:48
would the external HD be this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230707169711&fromMakeTrack=true

cheers
xpcman Posts 19528 Registration date Wednesday 8 October 2008 Status Contributor Last seen 15 June 2019 1,824
12 Dec 2011 à 18:52
yes that adapter should work.