Issues with Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop.

Solved/Closed
H - Jan 14, 2012 at 04:08 PM
 Blocked Profile - Jan 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Hello,
So, I've had this old desktop computer for years now, until it started giving me issues and lacked performance. I purchased a laptop a little over three years ago, and since then the thing has barely been touched.

Now, however, I want to get rid of it, since all it really does is take up space. Before I do so, I'd like to transfer any documents and pictures that might be on it onto my USB so I can keep them. The issue is that the thing doesn't want to work.

When I start it up, it'll load through Windows startup (it's equipped with XP), and bring me to what should be the desktop screen. But all it loads is the background image -- the desktop icons and start bar at the bottom and anything else that normal would appear will not load. What does happen is that it immediately presents me with a pop-up stating that "Userinit Logon Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

While the keyboard seems to respond (I can press enter while this pop-up is present and, as the computer is programmed to, it selects for me the "Don't send" option), beyond that it doesn't have any effect on the computer when I try to press keys.

Does anybody know how I might be able to make the desktop work long enough to retrieve my files and copy them onto my USB drive?
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Jan 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Greetings,

Please, bare in mind that before any answer given on the forum, you should know that there are volunteers who give their time trying to solve user problems. They do have a life other than this forum including me.

Therefore, it is specifically requested from Kioskea forum users to show their respect. For this, the use of polite expressions is a minimum.
https://ccm.net/apps-sites/internet-archeology/ccm/10131-terms-of-use-for-ccm-respect-for-others/#politesse

To say please, thank you, appreciate, grateful, etc... is common courtesy when you want something, especially help!

You must copy, modify and repost your message respecting the politeness charter.

We trust that you understand.