CD/DVD read and write issues matshita uj-822d

Closed
Nageeb Posts 1 Registration date Monday February 2, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 3, 2009 - Feb 3, 2009 at 11:25 AM
 yogi - Jun 6, 2009 at 06:24 AM
Hello Everyone
I am running Windows XP SP 3 on my viao VGNt-250
I recently started to have issues with my cd/dvd burned Model matshita uj-822da I am able to able to read and write cds but for the DVDs anything I burnt in the past I am not able to read anymore however I can read pre-recorded dvds. Also if I insert a blank dvd, it doesnt recognise the media I telephoned Sony and they advised me that maybe the drive needs to be replaced. Personally I think they are wrong. All my dvds I previous backed up can be read on other computer but not on this laptop. The only thing I have installed before any of this started was ITUNES 8
The DVD burner programs I use are ROXIO and NERO.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Related:

3 responses

Something when you download itunes messes up the driver. You gotta fix it through the registry somehow, My roommate told me that's what happened to hers and I told her about mine and mine happened after itunes too. She went to bed before she told me how to fix it though. You can find it on the internet she said. Itunes and that cd/dvd rw don't mix apparantly. pisses me off
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 3, 2009 at 01:07 PM
You need a new drive. Pre-recorded DVDs use a different recording method than recordable DVDs. They use pits in the plastic that is produced in a press. Recordable DVDs use a laser to burn a colored dot into a dye layer in the plastic. It's possible that a failing DVD drive can read one and not the other.
Hi,

Follow this procedure to resolve the error if the optical drive is missing from Computer in the Microsoft® Windows Vista™ operating system.

WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. This procedure involves editing the Registry. Using the Registry editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require the operating system to be reinstalled and can result in the potential loss of data.

NOTE: A backup of the registry can be created.

Click the Start button, and then in the search box, type regedit.
Press the Enter key.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password or click Continue.

In the Registry Editor window, in the left pane, double-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.
In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder, double-click the System folder.
In the System folder, double-click the CurrentControlSet folder.
In the CurrentControlSet folder, double-click the Control folder.
In the Control folder, double-click the Class folder.
In the Class folder, click to select the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder.
In the right pane, click to select the UpperFilters registry value.
On the menu bar, click Edit.
In the Edit menu, click Delete.
In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click the Yes button.
In the right pane, click to select the LowerFilters registry value.
On the menu bar, click Edit.
In the Edit menu, click Delete.
In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click the Yes button.
NOTE: Do not delete the UpperFiltersBak or LowerFiltersBak registry values.

Close the Registry Editor window.
Restart the computer.