Acer Aspire 5100

Closed
Tech Kid Posts 1 Registration date Saturday February 25, 2012 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2012 - Feb 25, 2012 at 06:32 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 26, 2012 at 04:13 PM
Hi,

I have owned an Acer Aspire 5100 for more years then I can count. It has been a very good computer. Been dropped so many times I cant remember. But just recently it lit on fire. I put the fire out with my finger and powered down the computer. The first repair shop said it was my harddrive, replaced. It just happend to feel like starting, the repair guys robbed me 350$. 2 days later, same identical problem. Went to a diffrent repair shop, New harddrive. 90$. Worked for 2 weeks. Now, however. My harddrive was stolen, I own 2 other HP laptops, much newer, and I use them more frequently. So I do not feel like buying another harddrive. I decided to put Linux ( Version Lisa) onto a DVD and boot it in that. I hit F2 when given the selection, changed to the proper boot selection, and it wouldnt boot. The problem turned out to be that the drive the computer comes with does NOT support ANY linux software. I luckly had a portable DVD drive in my closet that happend to be quite new. I put the dvd in, plugged it in to the Acer laptop, went to boot menu, set proper boot. and it now runs Linux OS. My problem you may be wondering by now, I have a broken power supply port. Somebody must has had it plugged in and tripped over the cord, the port is bent a little bit to the left and the cord end is bent to a strong left. If I dont hold it in, the cord comes out, and, because the battery wont charge for some reason, the laptop shuts off. Anybody know places online I could order parts to fix the port? and a new charger cord? Thanks

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Feb 26, 2012 at 04:13 PM
You can often find new power plugs for sale on Ebay.

Good Luck