-
Registration date
Thursday January 28, 2010
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
-
Hello, I'm likely having trouble finding a formula for this because I can't articulate properly what I want but here goes...

I have two worksheets - 1 and 2 let's call them:
On sheet 1 I have 2 columns named "room" and "fname". Under column "room" there will be entries 1a,1b, 2a, 2b... through to 28b but in a random order (do not want to sort). Under column "fname" there will be a name which corresponds to the number in the room column.

On Sheet 2 I want to create a formula that will match in order the name next to the entries 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b.... in order.

To give you some background - Sheet 1 column "fname" will have the names of people being added manually to that column as people register. There will be a room associated to each name matching them as roomamates but those rooms (1a,1b, 2a, 2b) will likely be entered after the fact and not in any particular order so I want the next sheet to automatically group the names and rooms in order.

Is there a place to upload a same file to show?

Thanks in advance.

2 replies

Registration date
Sunday June 14, 2009
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 7, 2021
no clear.
why not keep a copy of sheet 1 in sheet 2 and then sort sheet according to room number. will there be a problem in this suggestion?????????
Registration date
Thursday January 28, 2010
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
So are you saying, Room 1a and room 1b is actually Room 1, room 2a and room 2b is room 2 etc and what you like to see is what is in room 1 (room 1a,+ room 1b) ?