Windows boot manager /keys stop responding

Closed
roxyfox31 - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM
nadiaboo Posts 1 Registration date Saturday May 18, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 18, 2013 - May 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Hello, I had this problem now for 2 days. I really need to get this resolved. Can someone heelp meee pleeease! I have 2 acer laptops that were just purchased in October. So as you can see they are still fairly new. I believe that one of my acers picked up a serious virus that has the computer keys not responding therefore, when I power on the computer I sometimes recieve 13 long beeps then windows boot manager screen pops up. If the beeps are not long it sometimes goes beeeep then goes to windows boot manager screen. Now on that screen it has the following messages "choose an operating system to start, or press TAB to select a tool: (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice, then press Enter)". Then shortly below in an highlighted box is windows 7 and then further below is "To specify an advanced option for this choice, press F8". Last but not least, below that is Tools: and under that is windows memory diagnostic. I also have the options of pressing Enter=choose, TAB=menu and ESC=cancel. the problem that I am facing with all of this is, none of the keys are responding for me to proceed in rectifying the problem. Can someone pleeease help me. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your time and I do apologize for the long explaination/complaint. Looking forward to hearing from someone real soon.

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 18, 2012 at 03:32 PM
This sounds more like a hardware problem. Specifically, it sounds like the hard disk is in the process of failing and can't read the boot sector on the disk. Since you have two identical laptops - I suggest you move the hard disk from the good computer to failing computer. If the second computer boot correctly you will have confirmed the diagnosis.

Good Luck
roxyfox31 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday April 18, 2012 Status Member Last seen April 19, 2012
Apr 19, 2012 at 07:06 AM
Thanks for the time you took to respond to my problem. However, I am not sure if I want to take my hard disk from the good laptop and put it in the bad one. You did not specify the reprucutions of doing so. I do not want my working laptop to stop functioning as a result of this move. Please reply back as soon as possible to let me know if this is a good idea or not. I'm somewhat sure if it wasn't you would not have suggested it. On the other hand, you did wish me good luck. Well, thanks again for your time. Looking forward to your speedy reply.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 19, 2012 at 01:02 PM
There is always a small chance of causing a problem when swapping parts. But, it's on the order of 1,000 to 1. (If you are careful with the physical removal) You could also buy a new hard disk (and external disk enclosure) and use cloning software to copy the hard disk on the working laptop to the new hard disk. Then use the cloned disk in the problem laptop. Then you have no danger of damaging the working laptop.
nadiaboo Posts 1 Registration date Saturday May 18, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 18, 2013
May 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM
did you ever get the problem fixed?