Windows Installer service cannot be accessed [Solved/Closed]

-
 Ziva -
Hi, all!
I'm running Vista Home Premium on my PC. I tried to install a program and I got the following message: "Windows Installer Service could not be accessed".
I found an article on Microsoft support: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346.
Went through method 1. This did not solve the problem. However, when I tried to install the program, I only got the same error message. Next I tried method 2, but when I completed point 3, cmd only said "file not found - dllcache".
Following advice given on an other forum I went to Add/remove programs to see if windows installer was actually there. And, guess what... It was not. So I downloaded Windows Installer, but when I tried to install it, I got the following error: "Not enough storage is available to process this command." I have about 200 GB of free space on my hard disk and 4 GB of RAM, so that seemed pretty strange to me.
Lastly, I downloaded windows installer cleanup, but when trying to install it, I got the same old error message "Windows installer could not be accessed."
I would really appreciate any help as this problem is driving me crazy.
I have also tried the net start MSIServer, regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msi, MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER and MSIEXEC /REGSERVER in the cmd. I tried going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer and changing the WOW64 value to 0 but could not find WOW64

The only thing I have found out is that I do not have windows installer becuase when I tried going to Services and make Windows Installer Service automatic I could not file windows installer.

Thanks in advance.

15 replies

Open it as notepad

Click on FILE-SAVE AS

save the notepad as

Filename:msiserver.reg
Save as type:All files

Now launch the file
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 3445 users have said thank you to us this month

I have also tried the net start MSIServer,

Did you receive any error?

If you can find MSISERVER reg key then you should have windows installer service too?

Ok,try this

http://speedy.sh/k6fsD/msiserver.reg

Download and launch the registry key,restart the PC and try to start windows installer

If that doesnt work,create a new user account and see if works.
None except for not enough storage space. I downloaded the file and all it does is open in notepad. What am I doing wrong?
Hi guys, I had the same issue ; struggled on it for days and finally tried the MSIserver as indicated here. I was scared to play with the register but found Sundar's steps easy to follow. It fixed the pb within a few minutes. Thanks a bunch
i have been trying unsuccessfully to fix this problem all night, with various regedit's and so forth - your answer was a last resort and the first one to ever work so thank you very much.

Right click on the file

CLick on OPEN WITH

Browse to C:\WINDOWS folder

Select REGEDIT file and click ok

Now follow the instructions given before

Go to C drive,double click on WINDOWS folder

Now select REGEDIT file

Download

http://speedy.sh/sehBC/subinacl.exe

Copy this file to C drive

Click on startmenu and type

command

right click on command prompt-select-run as administrator,run this command

cd\ Press ENTER

Now copy all these commands together and paste it on the command window

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f

The command should start running,it may take a minimum of 20-30 minutes to finish it.

Restart the PC and see if you still get access denied errors

Rename the msiserver.reg.txt to msiserver.reg and launch it
Still opens with notepad.
Nope still opens in notepad.
I cannot find Regedti anywhere in my c:\ drive
Thank you for you continued help.
Ran it in regedit and it said it was completed but I tested out an installer and still got the windows installer cannot be accessed error and I restarted my pc
That did it, thank you so much!

You're welcome
you guys are so great thank you guys a million times for this :) :)
ive found a sulution that worked for me go to this linkand it explains what to do in a couple of minutes http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/i-cannot-download-the-new-updates-from-may-8-2012/b9b4a982-5b4d-4218-8a47-917515ede136

it worked but it tells you iola system mechanic or other registry tuners are at fault after following the instructions I was able to apply updates and install office
hey guys

i just had the same problem and I tried most of the proposed solutions in the web, particularly those by microsoft. but none worked for me. I came up with the error when installing adobe acrobat 8 professional. the one thing that just worked for me was installing the program in compatibility mode: my OS is W7 (32 bit) and I installed the program in compatibility with XP SP2. i'm not sure if I had tried this at the time I came up with the problem, but now it did it. i'm almost sure that u've done this at the beginning, but if you have not, give it a try.
btw, tnx to all who have contributed to this post.

best of luck