Internet wont connect to computer

Closed
Bryan - Jun 30, 2012 at 09:25 PM
 Bryan - Jun 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Hello,

my windows xp wont connect to the internet... I have the ethernet cable connected... I went to control panel, network connections, and 3 diff connections are there... under broadband theres one and it says disconnected WAN Miniport (PPPOE)... and under LAN or High-Speed Internet theres 2 that say
Local Area Connection
Connected
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

other one says
1394 Connection
Connected
1394 Net Adapter

so those 2 are good but broadband says disconnected, igo online it says cannot find server... it would work fine on my laptop... bt not my desktop... idk wat else to do...

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jun 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM
The PPPOE connection might be from a time when you had DSL. Since, that is not used for the Comcast cable modem you probably have now. I would not worry about this setting.

I would go to Internet Explorer Advanced Settings and click on "reset to default". If you are using Firefox I suggest you check to see if some malware has not turned on the "proxy server settings" in the connections tab. I found both of these problems on my Sister-in-law's laptop.

Good Luck
Still seems to not work... I tried playing online checkers and well it works... and I tried using a dofferent web browser but I can't cuz I only have internet explorer...