Nothing but desktop background loads....

Closed
harleyquinn321 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 23, 2012 - Sep 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM
bitnami Posts 6 Registration date Friday September 28, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 28, 2012 - Sep 28, 2012 at 05:24 AM
Hello,

I am sorry to burden this forum with a question that has been asked several times before.

I have a Dell desktop running Windows 7 and when I start it up, my desktop background loads. But that's it. CTRL + ALT + Del leads me to a blank screen.

Running Safe Mode works just fine.

I followed some suggestions on this link

https://ccm.net/forum/affich-13643-after-start-up-only-wallpaper-shows-no-icons#q=nothing+but+background+loads&cur=2&url=%2F

Following the suggestions, I went to delete the explorer.exe but it does not show up in my regedi. I went ahead and deleted iexplorer.exe but am uncertain if that messed up my computer more or not, or if the solutions at that link are applicable to my situation.

I ran the avast antivirus program and nothing appeared in the scan :( System restore tells me I have no restore points so that is not an option.

I appreciate that you have read through this =)

Related:

2 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Sep 24, 2012 at 01:33 AM
Hi harleyquinn321,

All Dell desktop systems come with Dell 32-bit Diagnostics. Follow the steps below to run Dell 32-bit Diagnostics. This will determine if the problem is with the hardware or software. Seemingly it is a software issue however sometimes even a Hard Drive failure can cause the Operating System to behave abnormally in normal mode. So it will be a good idea to run the Diagnostics.

1. Restart the computer.
2. As the computer boots, press <F12> when the Dell Splash Screen appears.
3. When the Boot menu appears, highlight the Boot to Utility Partition option, or the Diagnostics option and then press <Enter> to start the 32-bit Dell Diagnostics.
4. In some cases PSA Diagnostics will run first. If you receive an error during PSA diagnostics go to the PSA Diagnostics Page to see what the error means (http://dell.to/SowEcF
5. To continue onto 32-bit Diagnostics, Press N for No when it asks you to Continue Memory Tests. Press Y to Continue the Memory Tests.
6. Press the <Tab> key to highlight Test System Press <Enter> to continue to 32-bit Diagnostics.
7. Select Express Test this will run a quick test of devices in the system. This typically can take 10-20 minutes.

Do reply with results.

bitnami Posts 6 Registration date Friday September 28, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 28, 2012
Sep 28, 2012 at 05:24 AM
Also, you might hit the key (I think it still is F8) when booting (I think more or less when the beep sounds) , and choose an option that says something lke "System recovery" or something like that. A graphical menu like this should appear :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US

In your case, I would use "System Restore". As seems that something (driver, etc) in your Windows has problems. This operation will not make you loose your data, not even files saved with programs. (unless you saved the data in the programs folder, but this is highly uncommon ). It will simply restore your Windows to a previous stored system point (unless you deactivated this feature manuallly for some reason), of even just some days.

PD: Deleting Explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe is not a good idea, in general. But this system restore trick that I tell you here might solve everything.

Good luck!