Xp Black Screen, tryin to save files

Closed
kingdusty Posts 1 Registration date Thursday September 27, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2012 - Sep 27, 2012 at 01:52 PM
bitnami Posts 6 Registration date Friday September 28, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 28, 2012 - Sep 28, 2012 at 05:10 AM
Hello,

Ok so here we go, ive done some extensive searching on the web, (thank God for PS3) and I have found this issue to be a common issue, but more so people complaining about they get it and less answers as to how to resolve it. I feel for you if you have this same issue, but please refrain from posting your same issue. I JUST WANT ANSWERS OR SOLUTIONS....Thank you.

Ok so I am running Windows XP Pro with SP3, I recently installed Hitman Blood Money and was installing a driver called pinnacle (like xpadder or motionjoy) to use an xbox360 controller with the PC version of the game.

After the install it said the computer had to be restarted for the change to take affect, and once it restarted it would load normally and then show the boot window with the logo for XP.

THEN BLACK SCREEN !!! and the computer would continue to restart itself and repeat the same process.

I can open up the F8 menu, but running in any type of safe mode or last known good configuration still will not load my desktop.

I am not that tech savy but I do understand a little bit on how to work computers.

I have basically become annoyed and really just want to recover my files for my music pictures and video. I have a good chunk of them on my external harddrive, but I have a bunch of new projects for music that I do not have backed up seeing as I made them in the last week.

Ive gotten a couple of articles as to how to resolve this and printed them out at work and am going to try them tonight, but I have found almost no articles on just recovering files from the unbootable computer.

Someone please help me and let me know if this is possible otherwise I feel im wasting my time in trying to troubleshoot to repair the OS.

Thank you for any constructive responses.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 27, 2012 at 01:59 PM
You can use a bootable Linux CD to copy your data files to a flash/external drive. There are some custom CD's that give you the tools to do this without much, if any Linux knowledge. You will need a 2nd PC to download the image and burn the boot CD.

Good Luck
I cant find a file that wont take 19 hours to download. I also and using a netbook as my second computer could i put the boot files on a flash drive ?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 27, 2012 at 09:41 PM
Not all PC's will boot from a USB/flash drive.
You might find it easier to remove the hard drive of the failed computer and mount it in a USB drive enclosure. Then you can connect it to the netbook directly.

Good Luck
bitnami Posts 6 Registration date Friday September 28, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 28, 2012
Sep 28, 2012 at 05:10 AM
Maybe access the BIOS, deactivate some hardware (ie, use the integrated graphics adapter instead of a pci added one, sound, etc) so in case some new driver is realy making a big conflict there with your hardware, at least you could do so to access the info.

A really old solution I used to have for these cases was to use a great utility , DOS based, to force the machine loading with that (is a boot loader), so that you would have access to your disk. (although might depend on the disk format, not sure) It's called Ranish Partition Manager, and you can find it here :

http://www.ranish.com/part

If you could boot with an USB, setting so from BIOS (if your machine allows) it, that'd be the easiest. If not, a bit of a strange solution (worked for me in its days) is use an old DOS software to copy from one machine to another, via paralell port, or serial port. You will need on of these cables (they are still available, from PC to PC not PC-printer, etc), and have another machine to which you can acces by DOS, maybe just using in it also a copy of Ranish Partition Manager.

http://www.briggsoft.com/fmdos.htm