My Windows 7 Laptop restored itself

Closed
Jeremy_G Posts 33 Registration date Thursday April 2, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2012 - Oct 1, 2012 at 09:48 AM
 Relieved - Dec 8, 2014 at 09:02 PM
Hello,

So last night I was using my laptop and all was normal and I shut it down as I always do. This morning I turned it on and when I logged in instead of saying the welcome message it said "preparing desktop" and like a sec later I got to my desktop and my icons were all mixed up my background image was from factory settings and some of my files and softwares were missing . So when I saw that I was like "The heck is going on here??". So I then restarted my laptop and all was normal. I had all my files and software like they should be and my background was back to normal. Any ideas to what might have caused this? I don't think its a virus, worm or spyware kind of issue. As I said all is normal now but I still want to know why it happenned? No one uses my laptop and last night I did not play with settings and all that, I was only watching a movie.

Laptop Specs:
Model : ASUS A73SV Series
Win 7 Home Premium
Intel CORE i7 2.2 Ghz with turbo boost enabled
Nvidia GT540m graphics 1GB
Hard drive 1To
AV AVG internet security 2013

Related:

8 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Oct 2, 2012 at 04:51 PM
Hi Again,

It's far more advanced than Hyjackthis. I have put Hyjackthis into the moth balls because it doesn't give sufficient deep down info. Take a look at it and see for yourself, who knows, with your savy you just may spot something. It's also a handy tool to have on the desktop, just in case of a bug.

Supper time, catch you later!
Jeremy_G Posts 33 Registration date Thursday April 2, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2012 1
Oct 2, 2012 at 05:24 PM
Hey,

Found the errors related to the problem!!

Here have a look

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/7774/error1s.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/7945/error2aq.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img121/313/error3u.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img341/8131/error4f.png

I then googled

windows cannot find the local profile windows 7
and like clicked on the first link that poped.

And found a thread talking about the error of the fourth pic I posted above and a guy had the same issue and when he restarted his computer it was normal again.
Basically for some reason my profile failed to load up like normal as it should have and well the system noticed that and so created a backup of my profile then sent me on a temporary profile (looked like a reset to factory settings kind of profile) and when I restarted my laptop it loaded the backup profile and thats why I did not lose everything (Fihuu!! lol) as to the "why it happenned" still up for an explanation I'll keep digging for some info.

Regards
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Oct 1, 2012 at 03:57 PM
Hi,

The problem occured because of the movie software, memory ran law and the reboot refreshed it. You should not worry about it.

Regards

P.S. Was the movie any good?
Jeremy_G Posts 33 Registration date Thursday April 2, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2012 1
Oct 2, 2012 at 09:36 AM
Hi,

I think there is more to it than using up the ram of my laptop I have 8 gb and VLC media plaer never failed on me. I did a disk check and no problem there so not a Hard drive issue. so far today no problem when I turned it on. For the most part it seems to be resolved but i'll leave this tread open in case someone writes back and knows something about it.

Yeah The Dictator movie was quite funny :)

Thx anyway for the reply
Hi,

I'm having the same problem as well but in my case, my laptop doesn't turn back to normal again!! This is the 3rd time that I've switched on my laptop and it still says, "Preparing Desktop".

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks.
I am having the same problem. I got a brand new laptop, and it didn't last 1 hour before it restored itself.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Oct 2, 2012 at 03:57 PM
Hi,

Yes, I agree, lets keep the thread open.

Did you ever run a full diagnostic your system ?

Since we are almost neighbours in the same province, here is an interesting tool.

1. Open this link and download ZHPDiag2 : (of which you may have heard of on CCM)

https://www.zebulon.fr/telechargements/securite/systeme/zhpdiag.html

(Don't be alarmed is the site is in French, it sometimes happens, the tool will take your system language and allow the download if you get a warning message. Also clicking on the "hardhat" icon allows to change the language.)

2.. Save the file on your Desktop.

3. Double click on ZHPDiag.exe and follow the installation instructions.

the tool creates three icons ZHPDiag, MRB, and ZHPFix (If necessary,we will use ZHPFix at the next step).

4. Double click on the short cut ZHPDiag on your Destktop.

5. Click on the screwdriver icon and ensure all of the items are checked.

6. Click on the Magnifying glass and run the analysys.

Wait for the tool to finished (maybe a long time)

7. Close ZHPDiag.

8. Open the text file on your desktop

If you need some hints on the log, let me know.

Au revoir and glad you are back on the forum
Hi,

Does this tool help to recover back my missing files and softwarre?
Oct 2, 2012 at 04:38 PM
Hey,

I know that tool its somewhat similar to HijackThis I actually runned HijackThis yesterday too and I found nothing suspiscious in the logs after running it. I will now check the EventViewer and try to see any more details to see what happenned before shuting down the laptop and when I turned it on the following morning maybe i'll fnd something. Yeah its been awhile since I posted on the forum but I plan on coming back and help others as best I can. :)

thx for your help again :)
My laptop is doing the same thing, but it is Windows 8. It keeps doing it. Whenever it shuts down, it will restore itself, saying something like ":( Your PC ran into a problem, and can't start. We can restore it to a point where it worked correctly." If you say no, it will keep coming up until you click OK. I have plenty of memory. My laptop has 442 GB available. If I install anything, it will restore itself. I have had it for 3 days, and so far, I have restored 57 times. Please help me. :( I wasted my savings on this!
Oct 2, 2014 at 06:25 PM
Hello

I suggest that you create a new thread but clicking on ask a question. This thread is 2 years old. You may not get answer suitable to solve your issue.

Also, I suggest that you subscribe as a member.

Good luck

Ambucias
Okay then...
I had the same problem but it was fixed when I reset my laptop to the settings from around 1 week prior. Everything is now back to normal.