Gateway laptop screen turn grey after or sometime while booting

Closed
mandilman Posts 2 Registration date Saturday January 5, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 6, 2013 - Jan 5, 2013 at 08:04 PM
mandilman Posts 2 Registration date Saturday January 5, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 6, 2013 - Jan 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Hello,
I have gateway Md2614u for almost 5 yrs now. Great laptop! Loved it and no major problem till now.

Recently, the laptop screen turned grey, it not complete black. In prior days, the screen would go blank after it boots up and everything loads up. The screen would go grey after an hour or so. But now it wont even boot completely. It would go far till the window sign comes up and then goes blank. (There is no cursor blinking)

If I dont use it for sometime, and then power on it would boot completly but after using for 10min or so it goes blank again. One thing I have noticed when this happens, when it is booting or when it is working normal the hard drive light is constantly blinking. But as soon as the screen goes blank the light goes off.

I tried replacing harddrive but it would not let the windows boot files to get copied to the new hard drive. ( it would go blank in the middle of the process). I tried my old hard drive to another laptop and it works fine.
Also, I have already tried replacing battery and turning on without battery( only pluging the power cable. Already did the 30 second holding of power button as well.

I cannot figure out the problem. Can any one help me out please?

Thank you

Related:

2 responses

mandilman Posts 2 Registration date Saturday January 5, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 6, 2013 2
Jan 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Hi Zohaib R,

Yes it did work after updating the video drivers. Thank you so much, Zohaib. I was pretty scared if it was a motherboard issue. But the update really fixed it. Thank you for your advice.

Thank you
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jan 6, 2013 at 04:13 AM
Hi mandilman,

As you mentioned the computer loses video after you see the Windows Splash Screen, this could be a problem with the video drivers. Try updating the Video Drivers for your laptop and check if this fixes the problem. You can download the appropriate drivers for your Laptop from the below mentioned support link from Gateway:

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/IN/content/drivers-downloads

Do reply with results.