2nd hdd not showing up in my computer

Closed
danwillo Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday January 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 9, 2013 - Jan 8, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Jan 10, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Hello,
ive seen a few posts regarding the problem which i am having but none which can help fully. i was having a few problems with my desktop so decided to do a factory reset but just using my recovery discs instead of the restore from back up from my external hard drive. everything went fine and when it rebooted my 2nd hdd which i'd had installed was showing up as (x) instead of the (d) which it had been before, then my desktop rebotted again but this time it showed no 2nd hdd in my computer. it shows up in disk management but does not allow me to right click and format or partition it just pops up with a help link. it's coming up as disk 1 and online and healthy but just not allowing me to use it at all. ive got all the data backed up on my external hdd so not bothered about formatting, i just want to be able to use it again. im quite a novice at all this so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks danny.
Related:

3 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jan 9, 2013 at 01:07 AM
Hi danny,

As this Hard Drive started showing X drive letter after Factory Restore, this could be a problem with the Windows File System. Try to assign a drive letter to the Hard Drive from Disk Management console. Check the link below to find steps on how to assign a drive letter to the Hard Drive:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US

Do reply with result.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
danwillo Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday January 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 9, 2013
Jan 9, 2013 at 07:05 AM
thats my problem though, i cant seem to be able to right click and choose any of the options like format, partition or assign letter.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jan 10, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Hi danny,

Please try to connect this Hard Drive to another computer (possibly a friend's computer) and then try to format it using the file system (such as NTFS or FAT) which the Operating System in your computer is installed. Connect the Hard Drive back to your computer and check if it works.

Do reply with results.