Western digital passport essential not showing on vista

Closed
sexybugger Posts 1 Registration date Friday January 18, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 18, 2013 - Jan 18, 2013 at 09:25 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jan 20, 2013 at 05:02 AM
Hello,
well ive read and read for the last few days,my passport has stopped working is not showing unless i look on device manager, ive bought a new lead in case it was that ive tried it in my pc and my two other laptops ive tried it in a friends pc and it comes up as an f drive with nothing in it actually it says insert a disc when clicking on it as an f drive
im wondering what else to try
ive contacted western digital they asked me to send a picture of the drive and the serial number but as yet nothing back from them
what i have noticed is if i try to turn my laptop off with the device connected the laptop wont turn off and the hard drive light stays on
any clues as to why that might be, to me its like the power is still being carried through from the mains
Any help, please?

Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 19, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

Click on Start --> In search box, type cmd and press Enter.

"Command Prompt" will be opened.

Now enter the below commands

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 --> Press Enter

cd\ ---> Press Enter

cd windows\system32 --> Press Enter

start devmgmt.msc --> Press Enter

"Device Manager" window will be opened.

Now in the device manager, click on "View" --> Select "Show hidden devices"

Now expand all the nodes by clicking on "+" symbol. If you find any greyed

entries --> Right click on it --> Select "Uninstall".

Restart your PC --> Now try connecting your external drive.

Good Luck
Yes that shows me where the hard drive is but I want to retrive th stuff on the hard drive thanks for yoour help I've now found someone whocan get into the hard drive and get my stiuff back at a cost of £45 so going down that route
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 20, 2013 at 05:02 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
If it says "Please insert the disc" then follow the below instructions
Right-click on your External-drive --> Select the option "Explore" --> if is gets opened, backup your data and format it.
If the problem still exists then
Click on Start --> In search box, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
Disk Management will be opened.
Then right-click on your external drive ---> Select "Change Drive Letter and Path.." --> Click on "Change" and assign different drive letter.
Change the volume name by right-clicking on your external drive and select properties.
Enter your volume name.
Good Luck