Western Digital - My Passport not detected [Solved/Closed]

Sri - Apr 21, 2012 at 09:52 PM - Latest reply:  Mumtaz Ali
- Dec 29, 2017 at 04:28 AM
Hello,

My Western Digital is not getting detected which was working 1 week before. Suddenly this was not detected and following is happening after connecting in my laptop (Win 7 64 bit OS)
a) Light appearing on the drive.
b) Hearing sound from the drive.

But not detected. Please help me on this.

Thanks,
Srini

See more 

10 replies

jack4rall 6507 Posts Sunday June 6, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus December 30, 2015 Last seen - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Helpful
Hello,

Try this 1

Plug your external drive.

Click on Start --> In search box, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

"Device Manager" will be opened. Is there any yellow mark?

Double-click on "Disk drives" and let me know if you can see your external hard

drive under it.

Good Luck
Thx jack4rall. it works...
problem solved with change the usb cable :)
I see it under device manager but not under computer. Can't access the drive. I had it on computer 1 and it works fine but when I plug it into computer 2 ( which has identical specs, make, model, as computer 1) it does not appear accessible. But it does show up under device mgr. Any advice?
It worked. I can see and access my external hard drive.
Thank you.
NickeytheGreek 1 Posts Wednesday November 28, 2012Registration date November 28, 2012 Last seen - Nov 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Helpful
SOLUTION

Go to Control Panel / System / Harware / Device Manager /

slide down to the list at Universal Serial Bus Controllers, you will find a USB Mass Storage Device with a yellow triangle. This is your external Drive controller that failed to initialize and will always remain like this even after reboot... until you right click Uninstall and when done, just right click on any of the devices in the list, (or in the Actions menu above) select scan for hardware changes ....and voila! Your external USB Drive will be regognized and start functioning as it should.

This applies to WD passport USB external Drives as well