My western digital 1tb external hardisk is not showing up

Closed
Tburn - Nov 29, 2014 at 06:30 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Dec 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM
i have connected my external hardisk but its not showing up in my computer even when the light is on in my external drive. i have used diskpart to listen out all the volumes but my external drive is not listed even when it is connected. i can get the safely remove hardware in my taskbar.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 30, 2014 at 03:12 PM
sounds like the drive has failed. It's possible to open the case and install another WD drive. Since the USB interface electronics seem to be working.

Good luck
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Dec 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Hi Tburn,

Since you've said that you're able to remove the device I'm assuming that it's visible in BIOS. Could you, please, check whether it's seen there?
I would like to inform you that if you open the case and your external HDD is hardware encrypted, it will make all of your data inaccessible besides of the voiding of the warranty.
Have you tried to connect the external WD drive with another cable to your PC or have connected it to another PC?
One thing more, could you please, check whether you can see the drive in Disk management? It could be the drive letter that's needed.
I'm waiting for a little bit more of information. Thank you in advance.

KY_WD