How to connect my cinema display to macbook [Closed]

-
 arvid -
Hello,

My son has a macbook and I would like to add my old cinema display so he can see his screen larger. When I go into "about this computer", under Graphics / Display I see mirror in off position.

I connected the cinema display to electrical power, on one end there is two outlets, one is a usb and the other is DVI connector. Since the macbook does not have a DVI connection port, I used the usb connection. My cinema display power light is on, but no display.

What have I done wrong???? Please help.

Thank you,
Jay

2 replies

Since the macbook either has a mini dvi output (earlier models, pre oct 2008) or a mini display port output for video. You need either a mini display port to dvi or mini dvi to dvi converter. If the screen is a 30" Cinema Display you need a dual link dvi version of the adapter.
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2942 users have said thank you to us this month

Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
That USB cable will not give you video. If you don't have a VGA input port on the display to connect to the VGA output on the laptop you will not be able to connect the two. You need to buy a VGA to DVI Converter that Converts Analog VGA signal to Digital Signal. Be sure to get a VGA to DVI adapter and not the other way around.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

The Best of CCM in Your Inbox

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!