I am having trouble turning my laptop on. I recently changed the battery and it worked for approximately a day. I tried turning it back on and it will show no indication of lights. I have removed the battery and power supply cord and held on/off button for 30 seconds and replaced. Once I attempted to turn on, the power button showed light for a split second then nothing. Any help will be appreciated.. Thanks
Try the below mentioned steps and reply with the results (you can ignore steps 1-5 if you have tried it exactly in the same order):
1. Remove AC Adapter and battery from the computer.
2. Remove any External peripherals from the machine.
3. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.
4. Re-connect the AC Adapter only and try to power on the computer.
5. Check if any difference is observed.
6. If no difference is observed, press the Power Button and Check LED indicator.
7. If Power LED is not ON Connect the AC adapter to a known good power outlet.
8. Check Power LED indicator on AC Adaptor (without plugging into the Notebook).
9. If LED on the AC adapter is not lit (when unplugged from notebook), reseat brick and cable. If still no change, replace AC Adapter & Power Cord only, else follow next step.
10. If LED on the AC Adapter goes off only after connecting to notebook, the problem is with the Motherboard or the DC-In port.
11. If the AC Adapter LED is ON after connecting to notebook, the problem could be only with the Power button.
In your reply please include the System Model Number of your Laptop so that I can look for any specific troubleshooting steps.
If you are sure the power button is the suspected point of failure, you can try to reseat the power button connections. However, it is recommended to do so under technical supervision either from HP Support or a certified technician. For disassembly instructions of "Switch Cover", you can refer to the "Maintenance and Service Guide" on page 5-23. You can view online/download the "Maintenance and Service Guide" from the below mentioned link:
Note: The steps for removing the 'Switch Cover" require you to reseat the components by removing the system cover/taking apart the chassis. Please perform these steps only if you are comfortable else seek a technician's help. Refer to the Service Manual for accurate steps and safety instructions.