When I try to switch my Toshiba laptop on the screen goes blank after the Toshiba welcome screen appears. The backlight is on but the screen is just blank, the caps lock key light etc are all on and the fan is working however the screen has nothing on it.
As you have mentioned the video disappears only after the Initial Logo, this can possibly happen because of a faulty video card driver. Follow the steps below to uninstall/install the video card drivers:
1. Power on/Restart the computer.
2. Once the computer goes past the initial setup screen start tapping the F8 key on the keyboard.
3. It will show you Advanced Boot Options.
4. Select Safe Mode and hit Enter.
5. After loading some initial drivers the computer will show you the Desktop with a low resolution. While you are still in Safe Mode uninstall/install the Video card driver.
6. If you need any help with the video card driver installation, do reply with the Device instance ID of the video card driver.
7. To get the Device instance ID of the video card, right click the Computer/My Computer icon on the Desktop, select Manage, select Device Manager under Computer Management from the left pane, then expand Display Adapter from right pane. Right click the Device listed under Display Adapters, click properties, go to the Details tab, and then select Device Instance Id from the dropdown list. Make a note of this Device Instance ID.
Please check if there is any Diagnostics Available from the manufacturer of your laptop, viz. Toshiba. If there is a diagnostics available please run the same on the Hard Drive and reply with the results. Also, in your reply please include the exact System Model Number of your Toshiba Laptop.