-
Registration date
Sunday September 23, 2012
Status
Last seen
December 13, 2018
-
Hi,

I've got an old desktop computer running on XP. Since the past week or so I have been getting a BSOD (UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME). I've still got the original installation CD, but the CD-ROM drive appears to be busted.

Using WintoFlash on another computer, I managed to transfer the necessary Windows files to an USB stick so that I could boot up the desktop to Recovery Console.

It appears that the BIOS does support booting from an USB device, but the only supported ones are USB-ZIP, USB-FDD and USB-CDROM. However, the stick apparently is USB-HDD, so doesn't boot.

I realise that there's not much that can be done, but I was wondering if there is some way to make this work.

By the way, it's a Phoenix/Award BIOS, and I read somewhere that the USB stick should boot using USB-ZIP. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Joonas

5 replies

Registration date
Status
Last seen
December 13, 2018
Hi Joonas,

I would like to know the exact Model Number (or Make) of the Motherboard in your computer. Also, please check the below mentioned link and ensure you are not missing on any of the steps mentioned in the link:

https://ccm.net/computing/windows/843-create-a-bootable-usb-drive/

Please do write back to us.
Registration date
Wednesday April 10, 2013
Status
Last seen
April 11, 2013

Thanks Zohaib,

I'll look into it later today and let you know if this was any help.

Best regards,
Joonas
Registration date
Status
Last seen
December 13, 2018
Hi Joonas,

I will await your response. Do reply with results as this will help other users also.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
Registration date
Wednesday April 10, 2013
Status
Last seen
April 11, 2013

Hi Zohaib,

Unfortunately, this didn't help either. As I said earlier, the problem is probably the BIOS not supporting all USB devices.

Regards,
Joonas
Registration date
Status
Last seen
December 13, 2018
Hi Joonas,

Please let me know the exact Model Number including the manufacturer of the motherboard.