Dell Latitude D530 won't power up; adapter blinks

Closed
SlowLane Posts 1 Registration date Monday April 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 29, 2013 - Apr 29, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - May 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Hello,
New to this forum/site. Saw a solved similar problem here
https://ccm.net/forum/affich-129005-dell-d600-when-turn-on-green-lights-flash
but am unsure about what I should try. I want to preserve my HDD data and don't want to try something that could fry it...

In my case, the system went down and the power switch does nothing. The adapter green light blinks (two different adapters -- both act this way) if plugged in to laptop; steady if not plugged in to laptop. It all acts the same whether the battery is "installed" or "removed."

The system went down yesterday also (don't recall it happening like this EVER before) --- suddenly, unexpectedly, completely. It ran chkdsk upon restart (haven't done that in a long time either). Then all was okay.

Would appreciate any suggestions! I'm not familiar with opening laptops and open desktops only infrequently. TIA!

3 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
May 8, 2013 at 04:20 AM
Hi SlowLane,

No worries, we can try to find a fix for your Dell Laptop. I would like to know the exact state of your Dell Latitude D530. Is the computer booting to Windows? As it is not clear from the third paragraph of your post:

"The system went down yesterday also (don't recall it happening like this EVER before) --- suddenly, unexpectedly, completely. It ran chkdsk upon restart (haven't done that in a long time either). Then all was okay. "

Is the 'power button not able to power on the computer' and 'the light on the AC Adapter blinking' are these intermittent issues?

Please do write back to us.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
Hello, thanks for your reply.

The 'power button not able to power on the computer' and 'the light on the AC Adapter blinking' are permanent. The day before it had suddenly shut down but that time it came back up when I hit the power button (and it ran chkdsk etc).

The machine does not power on when using only the battery. The machine does not power on using the adapter while the battery is "in" or while the battery is "out." I also tried draining residual power by holding the power switch down after removing the battery.

I have now removed the HDD to transfer my data but I still want my Latitude to run. and will replace the HDD if I can get the "power on" issue resolved.

Sorry for my delay in responding and for the confusion in my original post. I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks, Zohaib!
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
May 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Hi SlowLane,

As you have already removed the Flea Power from the computer and still the computer did not power on, the problem might be with the Motherboard because the AC adapter is fine when not connected to the motherboard. This symptom indicates some component is shorting inside the laptop. You have mentioned you are not familiar with disassembly of laptops so it is recommended you take help of a technician and have this checked. In case, you want to have a look at the internal components of the laptop yourself, you can check the Service Manual. You can view/download the Service Manual by clicking here.

Do reply with results.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6