-
Registration date
Wednesday May 1, 2013
Status
Last seen
May 1, 2013
-
Hello
I was playing on my computer today and I wanted to get a windows XP theme so I downloaded one off of deviant art and I opened it the on accident I pressed uninstall sys files in the folder it ran come for about 3 milliseconds then it popped up an error message then all of my files and task ad disappeared and then I could only see my background so I force shut down my laptop (a dell Inspiron) then turned it back on and it booted normally so I logged on and it went black with my mouse cursor there. I tried booting it in safemode and I tried running explorer in task manager and it said could not find explorer. So I tried the sticky keys solution but it said couldn't find control panel please help me

4 replies

Registration date
Sunday September 23, 2012
Status
Last seen
December 13, 2018
Hi Vacense,

As you mentioned the problem started after installing the theme from "deviant art", "System Restore" might help here. Also, you have mentioned that you cannot open "explorer.exe" so I recommend running "System Restore" from command prompt. Please check the below mentioned link for steps on how to do "System Restore" from "Command Prompt":

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-start-system-restore-from-the-command-prompt-2624522

Do reply with results.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2821 users have said thank you to us this month

Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 16, 2020

Hello,

Try this 1

Open "Task Manager" --> Click on "File" --> New Task --> Type cmd and press

Enter. "Command Prompt" will be opened. Now enter the below commands.

cd\ and press Enter. Now your prompt changes to C:\>

cd windows and press Enter. Now your prompt changes to C:\Windows>

ren explorer.exe explorer1.exe and press Enter

[Note: If it says explorer.exe file not found, continue with the next steps]

cd system32\dllcache and press Enter. Now the prompt changes to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache>

copy explorer.exe c:\windows --> Press Enter

[ 1 file(s) copied message should appear ]

cd\ --> Now your prompt changes to C:\>

start explorer.exe ---> Press Enter.

Good Luck
Registration date
Wednesday May 1, 2013
Status
Last seen
May 1, 2013

Ok I am restoring it and I think it might work thanks but I will reply with the awnser to If it worked or not
Registration date
Wednesday May 1, 2013
Status
Last seen
May 1, 2013

It worked! Thank you soooo much my pc turne on to the same thing so I got mad then I thought Mebey if it do the explorer thing now and it put a circle on the screen and loaded I was soooo happy to hear the startup noise thank you so much