I messed up my computer permission settings

Closed
torotee Posts 5 Registration date Saturday May 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 7, 2013 - May 4, 2013 at 09:05 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - May 7, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Hello, I recently messed up my windows XP permission settings. My computer sound setting was greyed out and I looked for solution online. I saw one and it asked me to run a regedit stuff. I don't know what it was but just followed the instructions and clicked different things. I rebooted and then can not open any thing (file or folder, browser, run, etc) on my computer. I can't work with nothing. Nothing will open without the error message that I don't have permission for this file for that file. Is tehre a way to restore this access? I can't even open the browsers, all of them so I can't download anything. Please can you help me? I will really appreciate your help because otherwise the computer is just useless.

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
May 5, 2013 at 08:45 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

Check if you are able to perform "System Restore".

Click on the below link and follow the instructions.

https://support.microsoft.com/instantanswers/62ed802d-7c8d-35d9-9b82-6cace4b08185

Click on "How to use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous

state" and follow the instructions given under it.

Good Luck
torotee Posts 5 Registration date Saturday May 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 7, 2013
May 5, 2013 at 05:43 PM
Thanks Jack4all, I tryed system restore already but it will not allow me neither. I was just thinking now that I have kind of lost all rights to the computer except loging in and shutting down.

So I couldn't do system restore because of access denial.

I wish I can find a way ariound this. Thanks.

Toroti.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
May 5, 2013 at 06:28 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Let us know the entire error message. Let us know the changes that you have made to the registry by providing the link where you have followed the instructions.. Do you have Windows XP CD?
Good Luck
torotee Posts 5 Registration date Saturday May 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 7, 2013
May 5, 2013 at 11:37 PM
It is a common error message with permission - "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I went thru this instructions from a website:

run regedit - Right click on Drivers32 Registry folder for all users - click on permissions - Remove all permissions for Drivers32for all users - Apply.

I think I went a little farther to remove few more permissions but I returned them all back before I rebooted, i.e. I restored all the permissions. But because there where too much permission, I don't know if I restored them all or if I did them all right back good.

I also noticed that since that time after rebooting, everytime I logon to the computer it doesn't direct me to the initial page I was used to. It gives me a different background theme etc. Although all the decktop folders and files are still there and the same, I am just denied access to it.

Finally, I don't have the XP CD because someone gave it to me as a gift. I only noticed the greyed out sound control and because I need it very much, I tried to fix that and this led me to this problem.

I will be glad if I can get it fixedreally because I need a computer and that was why the person gave me.

Thanks.
May 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Since you have access to another PC, click on the below link and download the file.
http://speedy.sh/xuaPq/reset.bat
You need to edit the above reset.bat file.
Click on Start --> Run --> Type notepad and press Enter. Notepad will be opened.
Click on "File" --> Open --> Change "Files of types:" to "All Files" from the drop-down menu --> Now select the reset.bat file and click on Open.
There you can find the word username between " ". Change the user name to your account user name. For example : If you are using an administration account with name SAM then change it as from "username" to "SAM". Just make a change in the user name and reset of command will remains the same.
Note : The user name should be between " ". Now click on "File" --> Save.
Now copy that file to your PC and double-click on it. It it prompts for any confirmation, press the "y" key and press Enter. Wait for the process to get completed.
Now check if you are able to open the files and folders under C-Drive.
Now try system restore if the problem with the registry still exists.
Good Luck
May 7, 2013 at 01:47 PM
l,

I went to the website but didn't find the file to download. I saw one speedrive download link, but it is not the reset.bat file (I think) that you are talking about.

On the website page, I only saw the different types of users, registered, basic etc. No particular link to downlaod teh file on that page.

Could you please help again and I will try to download it.

Thanks.

Torotee