New system won't power up

Closed
Wild onion - Feb 19, 2009 at 07:06 PM
 Wild onion - Feb 21, 2009 at 06:26 AM
Hello,
I've recently bought components to rebuild my computer (third time.) But, this time from scratch. I bought a Raidmax Smilodon 500w box XFX 630i board with a Quad Core 6700 and an nVidia geForce 9800 OC+. So I plug it all together with a new Sata drive and my "old" Sony DVD-R on the IDE channel and flip the switch. Well, I get a beep, a micro attempt to try to turn the fans (only one box hooked up and the cpu fan) and then nothing. If I unplug it and plug it back in I get the same thing. Isn't 500w enough to power this rig? I figure it should be. Raidmax apparently has no customer support so I'm asking y'all for help.

Thanks
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 19, 2009 at 09:12 PM
Bare Bones Troubleshooting Installation
\
Remove the motherboard and check that it is not shorting out to the case. Double check each connection.
Remove everything that is installed or connected to your computer so the only things remaining in the case are:
Motherboard, processor, and cooling fan use the onboard video. Restart the computer - You should get a beep for missing memory.
Add One stick of RAM and restart. Is this performance RAM that needs 2 volts or more? If so, you might have problems with a motherboard that is supplying 1.8V.
If it's still dead - then you might have CPU or motherboard problems.
If it's ok then:
Add the Graphics card and restart.
Add the One hard drive and restart.
Add the One CD ROM drive and restart.

That's it. No sound card, no network interface card, no modem, no extra hard drives or CD ROM drives. Especially important is not to have more than one memory stick, and it should be a minimum of 128MB. Connect up the monitor, the keyboard and the mouse and power up the machine. Go into the BIOS settings and look for a setting for the basic BIOS default configuration. Select it, then make sure that if you're booting from a CD ROM that the CD drive is the first boot device.

Reboot and let the installation process begin. I haven't kept track of numbers, but in the vast majority of cases the installation was completed with no problem. Once you have the basic operating system in place it's a simple matter to start adding back in the extra memory, drives, and devices that were stripped out initially.

A final tip. I know it's tempting to add everything else back in at once after a successful install. Don't do it. Something was causing a problem initially or you wouldn't be using this procedure. Add the pieces back one memory stick, one hard drive, one network interface card at a time and test the system for proper operation after each addition.

Good Luck
Thank you so much for your response. I did as you suggested and removed everything from the m/b bu the processor and got the same result. I can't see as how the motherboard is shorting to the box unless it's through the screws which seems highly unlikely, but here's the kicker. I took my old system board (which still worked fine, just old) and put it in this case and get the same result. Could the power supply on the new box be bad or "grounding out" somehow.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 20, 2009 at 10:56 PM
It looks as if the power supply is bad.
Again, thank you so much for your help. I'll see about getting that replaced.