DESKTOP WILL NOT APPEAR

Closed
seanj Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday July 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 31, 2013 - Jul 3, 2013 at 02:18 PM
 Helenji - Feb 20, 2015 at 04:43 PM
hi guys,
the problem i have is that, when i start my HP laptop(WINDOWS 7), i see the HP logo, the welcome screen appears and i can enter in my password. When the time comes for the desktop to appear, nothing happens. My screen is black BUT can only see the cursor. I tried ctrl+alt+del to see if i can get the task manager. 95% of the time nothing happens, and if somehow the task manager does come, i try and shut the laptop down, but that does not work.
What shall I do. Please advice
Related:

8 responses

seanj Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday July 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 31, 2013 2
Jul 3, 2013 at 07:56 PM
hi there,

i did what you said. Logged into safe mode, did a system recovery, after a while laptop re-booted, saw the HP logo, welcome page came, i typed my password but again the desktop did not appear. Blank screen with the cursor visible only

any other suggestions guy. please help
Go into safe mode with networking. Download malaware bytes or another free spyware program like spybot. run it and clear spyware infections,
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) When you switch ON your laptop, start tapping the "F8" key to get "Startup

Settings" options ( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep tapping the

F8 key)

2) Select the option "Safe Mode with Networking".

When the "Desktop" appears, click on Start --> In search bar, type regedt32 and

press Enter. "Registry Editor" will be opened.

First backup your registry by going to "File" --> Export --> Save the file in your

desired location with any name.

Navigate to the following location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

At the right side, find the strings shell & userinit and check the following

shell value data should be
Explorer.exe

userinit value data should be
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

If shell and userinit are having different data values then change it as mentioned above

Just double click shell and userinit and enter the data values as

shell value data should be
Explorer.exe

userinit value data should b
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Note: there is "," at the end of userinit.exe

3) Download the "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free" from the below

hyperlink "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free"

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

Update it --> Perform "Full Scan"

Note : Default selected option is "Quick Scan".

Good Luck
seanj Posts 11 Registration date Wednesday July 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen July 31, 2013 2
Jul 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM
hi there,
thanks for the detailed reply. I went into safe mode, downloaded the malwarebites and did an entire PC scan. The scan went on for approximately 50mins. Threats found were 0.

Here is something else you should know,
yesterday, 80% of the time when i started my laptop, the desktop screen was blank with the cursor only visible, the other 20% when the desktop appears with the icons, something happened. You know the icons on the bottom right. first the time and date comes, the sound icon comes, the wireless comes and then there is that small arrow that indicates that some more icons are loading...thats where the problem occurs... the icons do not load.... the desktop get stuck..and then in 3 mins.. u no the icons that are supposed to appear.. one by one an error pops saying that the icons encountered an error and then the the screen goes blank.

have any ideas as to whats happening here...
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
First make sure that you have checked the valuedata of shell & userinit.
If the problem still exists then
Once again boot into "Safe Mode".
When the "Desktop" appears then
Hold the "Windows Key" and press the "R" key. "Run" will be opened.
Type msconfig --> Press Enter.
System Configuration Utility will be opened.
Click on "Services" tab, select the option "Hide all Microsoft services" (You can find this option at bottom) --> Then click on "Disable All" button.
Click on "Startup" tab and click on "Disable All" button -->Click on OK.
Now restart your PC.
After restarting, a dialog window will appear regarding the changes that you have made, check the checkbox "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start" and click on OK.
Now check if you are able to use your laptop without any problem.
Later enable the serivces and startup items one by one and then restarting the PC.
Good Luck
Jul 3, 2013 at 03:04 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) When you switch ON your laptop, start tapping the "F8" key to get "Startup

Settings" options ( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep tapping the

F8 key)

2) Select the option "Safe Mode".

When the desktop appears, try "System Restore"

Click on the below hyperlink "System Restore" for more information.

System Restore

Good Luck

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Jul 4, 2013 at 03:10 PM
hi there,
thanks for the reply. i did not get the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start" checkbox BUT... my desktop started and was even able to use google chrome.
with that being said things seems to be moving and working. Hope it continues that way. I have no idea tho what could have gone wrong.

Thanks a lot for your help
Jul 5, 2013 at 09:18 AM
Hi,
unfortunately the problem has returned. Desktop appears, but the icons will not load.

what to do.
Jul 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM
ALSo i tried the system restore. it does not work.... the process start.... and after a while the computer reboots..but again when it comes to the desktop..it either remain black with the cursor showing AND/OR the problem with the icons comes..
when the laptop restarts and i go to safe mode.. error comes saying that system recover failed.
Jul 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Click on the below link.
https://ccm.net/forum/affich-709781-desktop-will-not-appear#5
Once again follow the instructions given in the above link.
After restarting, boot into normal windows and without enabling any services or startup for a while check if you are able to use it without any issues.
Good Luck
Jul 8, 2013 at 01:03 PM
to make matters worse..what has happened that when i start my laptop, the hp logo comes and then an error appears. it says boot error and no hard drive located.
here is the thing. if i press ctrl+alt+del... the page skips and goes to the welcome page and the when the desktop has to load..it again fails and a blank screen appears and/or the icons on the bottom right get stuck..and the an error comes and screen goes blank.

another thing happens when i click ctrl+alt+del...if the welcome pages does not come.. i get a option for safe mode....so i am able to do normal activities for the day.

so in summary... getting a boot error/no hard drive found ERROR and desktop cannot be loaded... what do i do.. please help guys.
Jul 8, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
1) First check your hard drive connection. Make sure that it is firmly connected.
2)Go to CMOS settings --> Load the default settings --> Set the first boot device as "Hard drive" --> Save the settings and exit from it.
3) Test your hard drive from BIOS. Click on the below hyperlink "HDD Test" and follow the instructions.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00439024
4) If you still having problem in getting into Windows in normal mode then
Go to Safe Mode --> Open "My Computer" --> Right-click on your OS drive --> Select "Properties" --> Click on "Tools" tab--->Click on "Check Now" button.
In "Check Disk" window, select "Automatically fix system file error" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" options and click on "Start" button.
Good Luck
Jul 8, 2013 at 03:48 PM
hi there,

when i click the start button an error comes: windows cannot check the disk while it is in use
Jul 9, 2013 at 05:29 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Did your hard drive passed the HDD test successfully ?
Regarding Check Disk
Click on Start --> In search bar, type cmd. When cmd (Command Prompt) appears in the search list, right-click on it and select "Open as Administrator".
Now enter the below command.
chkdsk c: /f /r
Note: There is a spacing after chkdsk, c:, /f and /r
Press Enter.
If its prompt you to restart your laptop for the check disk process then restart your laptop.
Good Luck