Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
-
Hi

I have an Acer desktop and monitor almost exactly 1 year old. Monitor has suddenly went black. I can turn it off and back on and my homescreen flashes on screen for a second or two then turns black again. I have restarted the computer multiple times, I connected the computer to my tv via HDMI, that works perfectly, I ran a diagnostic and it reports that the monitor is working normally. I did find a listing for an available update, which I downloaded and installed, no change! I replaced to monitor cable with a new one, no change! Any other suggestions?

Thanks

4 replies

Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
Can you test the monitor with another computer?
"Home screen" do you mean the "Windows Desktop" screen?
I suspect the monitor has failed since the video card work with your TV.
Registration date
Wednesday August 21, 2013
Status
Last seen
August 22, 2013

Yes I mean the Windows Desktop screen. The screen image flashes on the screen every time I turn the monitor on and back off.
Registration date
Status
Last seen
August 22, 2013

I never thought about it but I could probaby connect the monitor to my laptop! Will have to try that in the morning! Thanks!
Registration date
Status
Last seen
August 22, 2013

I connected the monitor to my laptop and the laptop immediately identified a secondary display connected but it still does the same thing, I can turn the monitor off and the back on and the Windows Desktop screen is visible very briefly ( a flicler) then the screen goes black again!
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
So this identifies the monitor as the failed component. Unless repair is covered by your warranty replacement is possibly the cheapest option.