when i switch on my laptop, the light is coming on but the screen is just black.
sometimes the screen is switching on but before the desktop icons can show, it goes black. twice it showed some grean vertical lines . what can be the proble? Please help
Please try the steps mentioned below and reply with results:
1. Check if the lines on the screen appear on Startup Logo and in BIOS.
2. If same issue is seen on Startup Logo and in BIOS, Follow Outside OS troubleshooting mentioned below, else follow Within OS troubleshooting.
Outside OS Troubleshooting:
1. Check by connecting a known good external monitor.
2. If known good monitor works fine, the problem is with the LCD panel. Else, follow next steps.
3. Run LCD BIST (Built In Self Test) (if provided by manufacturer). If the lines appear during the test, the problem is with the LCD panel. Else follow next steps.
4. Run the Diagnostics provided by manufacturer of the laptop.
5. If the test fails, replace Motherboard. Else, follow Inside OS troubleshooting.
Inside OS Troubleshooting
1. Run MS Fix-It : Solve Windows display quality issues
2. Download the updated video driver and BIOS from the support site of your laptop. Uninstall current video driver and then install the updated Video driver and BIOS which are downloaded. To download/update the drivers you need to boot to Safe Mode with Networking as the normal desktop is not showing video.
Note: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.