Computer start menu/toolbar gone...and comput

Closed
smithwiggles - Mar 2, 2009 at 04:37 PM
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 - Mar 2, 2009 at 11:05 PM
Hello,
My computer, which has windows xp, was working absolutely fine, and then after we shut it down that night, and restarted it the next day, our background picture comes up..but nothing else. No start button, or toolbar. If you put a cd in nothing happens...you hear it spinning, but nothing comes onto the screen, if you press ctr alt del..again...nothing. Also when you start it it now bring you to the login screen...which we did not have before, so something changed that also. Is there hope? I would really like to not lose all of our files!!

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 2, 2009 at 05:35 PM
You could have a virus that removed your desktop icons. Try the Ctl + Alt + Del key combo. That should start the Task Manager.
Select "New Task" and type in explorer.exe and click on OK.

That should get get your desktop back. Report back on your status and we can give you some tips on virus removal. Good Luck
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 41
Mar 2, 2009 at 11:05 PM
the best solution for this I sugeest 2 u is, use the system restore option to the date earlier on which u encounterd the problem

ur problem will be solved by it

awaiting 4 any queries or comments

Melisio Mascarenhas
India-Mumbai
mikethedike