Connection problem when using two 360's on one router

Closed
schellman2 Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday March 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 20, 2014 - Mar 19, 2014 at 06:26 PM
 dana - Apr 11, 2014 at 05:34 AM
First of all hi! I get some terrible connection problems when trying to play Xbox live with my dad, both of our NAT types say open but we can never connect to any of our friends. I have been researching what was wrong and the most accurate thing I found that might be the cause is that I may be double NATing.

I have a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 cable modem (just the standard modem an internet company gave us)

My router is a Belkin AC1800 DB (Dual-Band) Gigabit router

I have seen suggestions to change the MTU to another number, but I have no idea where that is on my router configuration page.

My Xbox is usually wired, it's the slim version whereas my dads Xbox is the E-Series and his is also wired. The IP settings on both are automatic, I don't have a static IP I was going to set one up but my ISP informed me that I would not need one for Xbox live although I have been reading that people are still doing it.

That's all that I really know for right now, if I think of anything else I will update, but any other questions that I missed feel free to ask and I'll figure it out!

Thank you!
Related:

5 responses

Blocked Profile
Mar 19, 2014 at 06:34 PM
Ok, first thing....
when doing a speed test on a pc or laptop, what is the bandwidth? Ask your parents what they think it should be (what they are paying for).

If you want to be certain, have you ever done a speed test?

Did you have to tweek the NAt in the beginning to make it work?

Let us know!
"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" - Oliver Sykes; Bring Me The Horizon
schellman2 Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday March 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 20, 2014
Mar 19, 2014 at 07:04 PM
I have done a speed test, we pay for 15 mbps it gets anywhere from 10-14 that I have seen.

I have not tweaked the NAT because I am not sure how. I did have to change to dynamic instead of PPPoP from my last internet since the installation did not check if I would get online. But other than that, I haven't changed any settings.
Blocked Profile
Mar 19, 2014 at 07:24 PM
Excellent...Good Job!

The less you make changes the better....

From:https://www.belkin.com/us/c/routers/ you will see that speeds may vary.....

Just to let you know, the MTU is not going to change anything....

What game are ya'll playing? If the network has not keep alive (due to bandwidth) it won't connect or stay connected.

Are you hosting a game, and playing? I am trying to throw out all, because it is simple! "trouble shooting overlooks simple things!"
schellman2 Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday March 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 20, 2014
Mar 20, 2014 at 09:19 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the MTU it was a thing somewhere else.

We play Black Ops II, I host sometimes but I can only connect to a couple people. We just got this new internet within the past couple weeks, and our old internet was DSL at 1.5 mbps down, but we didn't have this bad of connection problems with that terrible internet.

But sometimes I can host without a problem and sometimes I can't. I know it's not the firewall having issues either because I turned it off to check and we still have the same problem. Even with connecting to just an xbox live party, a lot of the time it won't let us join.

I took a computer engineering class and it didn't go very in depth with networking issues.. unfortunately.

Also, another guide wanted me to bridge my specific modem, but I looked up how to bridge it, and found a few things that said I couldn't bridge my motorola modem.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
You should check your network performance. The easiest way is to go to www.netscan.co and start a network scan.
netscan.co is a web application that will perform a series of network tests for modern Web Services like WebSockets, WebRTC and XHR.
Additionally a full profile of your browser, operating system and environment will be generated. After the scan is done you will be given a unique url, please share it back so we can help you.