Computer displays startup but goes blackscreened afterwards.

Closed
Raven776 Posts 3 Registration date Sunday August 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 29, 2014 - Aug 24, 2014 at 08:20 PM
Raven776 Posts 3 Registration date Sunday August 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 29, 2014 - Sep 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Hello,

I've got a pavillion dv7 running windows 7.

When I start the computer, it goes to the screen that informs me of an unintentional shutdown and asks if I want to do safe mode or continue normally.

Normally: The screen goes dark, goes into the windows startup screen, and then goes dark again. I can hear Skype and other programs starting up through the speakers but nothing I can seem to do reenables the screen.

Safe mode: Everything is safemode normal, big and stupid looking. I'm not too sure what I can do through safe mode besides scan for viruses.

How it started: This morning when I woke up, my laptop was shut off for some odd reason. I turned it on, left for a while, and found the screen dark when I came back. I tried one more time to turn it off and on, and I got a couple hours out of it before it went all funky and shut off. By funky, I mean the screen turned a sort of overlay of blue (patterned, not random) over everything else (translucent so I could still see what I had opened and the screen below) and then it goes black.

After that, I haven't been able to get it going again in anything but safe mode.

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Sep 8, 2014 at 05:35 PM
Perhaps you downloaded a video driver that is not fully compatable with you hardware. That can happen sometimes with Windows updates.

I suggest you use windows safe mode to revert the video driver to an older version.

Good Luck
Raven776 Posts 3 Registration date Sunday August 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 29, 2014
Sep 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM
I've tried reverting already, but it didn't seem to do anything to help. Safe mode seems to function perfectly still, though. I'll start poking around again to see what may or may not help. I'm hesitant to try cracking anything open hardware side because I'm paranoid the slightest whisper against anything internal will leave me with a doorstop.