Help! My PC Can't Recognize External Drive

Closed
georessah Posts 1 Registration date Friday September 26, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 26, 2014 - Sep 26, 2014 at 11:15 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 29, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Hi everyone, I bought a new 1TB Western Digital Elements external hard drive last week Monday purposely to store media files. The store attendant tested it and it was working alright. I brought it to the office, plugged it into my office laptop and it was recognized by it. I even copied some movie files on it and sent it home. I plugged it to my home desktop pc but it did not recognize it. It showed neither in My Computer nor Device Manager. So I did a little research and came to the conclusion that the problem had to be due to lack of partitioning. So I decided to partition it the following day in the office. I downloaded Easeus Partition Master as was recommended by some sites I came across in my research and tried to partition it. The partitioning failed. After several tries, the laptop which had hitherto recognized the external drive couldn't recognize it anymore. It was no longer even showing in Device Manager. After reading over this for several days, I check Disk Management and the drive was there. The long and short of it is, I've tried several approaches to get the drive formatted and partitioned so I can get the PCs to recognize it but all have failed. I'm really at my wit's end now. I've searched several places on the net but none have been helpful. The hdd shows in Disk Management as healthy etc but I can't access it for the purpose I bought it. I'm really gone beyond frustrated now. Could anyone please help? I'm just an average computer user by the way. Not technically sound with it.

Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 29, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Hi there,

The drive should be accessible and usable without partitioning it. I mean, it is up to you if you are going to partition it or not. I would say that you may need some driver updates in your PC at home. I would not advise users to partition their externals unless it is necessary, for example if you need to use your drive on a Mac and Windows simultaneously.
What are your options from Disk Management? Does the drive seem initialized? What is the File System? Try to reinstall driver from Device Manager: unplug drive, uninstall driver, restart PC, plug drive. You can even download latest drivers from the WD web page. I leave you a link below.
If the information on the drive is not valuable, format the drive, delete all partitions and do clean install of drivers. Are you using Windows Vista? Try to download latest OS updates.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL - My Passport downloads section
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/be3d8492-1dd9-442f-bd0c-90e5d2b31727/external-western-digital-hd-not-being-recognized?forum=windowssearch - If you are using Windows Vista, check this topic.

Hope this helps