How fix corrupted.mpp file?

Closed
RodgerFlynn Posts 1 Registration date Friday November 7, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 10, 2014 - Nov 10, 2014 at 02:57 AM
CuthbertMann Posts 1 Registration date Friday November 7, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 11, 2014 - Nov 11, 2014 at 03:25 AM
I have a MS Project file (2013 .mpp format) with many procedures, user forms, etc. The file has corrupted by unknown reason and now I cannot open it at .
Related:

1 response

CuthbertMann Posts 1 Registration date Friday November 7, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 11, 2014
Nov 11, 2014 at 03:25 AM
If you can't open the file in MS Project, and none of the other MVP FAQ methods are working for you, then the native libraries in VBA aren't going to be able to open it either I'm afraid. However, that's not to say it's irrecoverable just yet. Here are a couple of ideas:
Different Version of Project - You don't say which version of MS Project you're using, but I've had a corrupt file in the past which would not open in 2007, but we were able to open it in 2010. If you can get access to another version of MSP then that might fix it (I have an instance of 2010 available now if you want to send the file to me to try).
2013 has been available for some time now - I've not used it yet, but it may be even more robust than 2010 when it comes to handling corrupt data. Different Application - There are a number of viewer applications out there - just google "MPP Viewer", and as they don't use the MS libraries, they may be able to open files that MS Project can't.
Some of these applications are free, and some are free and online, so you may be able to get access to the data that way. the only viewers I've used give you a means of viewing but not saving the project file, but you may be able to copy/paste data into a fresh MPP file. Recent Back-up - I assume you've exhausted the possibility of getting a recent back-up of the file? You'll have lost some work, but redoing a couple of days work on the schedule may be less painful than the next option... Bespoke Coding Using MPXJ - There is a library called MPXJ which allows you to access MPP files from within .Net.
If you absolutely had to get this data, then you could write a VB.Net application in Visual Studio using this library, and there's a chance that this library may give you access to the data. Once accessed, the library allows you to save in other formats (i.e. other than MPP) which you may then be able to reopen in MS Project, then resave as an MPP file. It's a nuclear option, and is likely to be expensive and/or time consuming, but if you absolutely have to get the data, and there are no recent backups, this could be an option. I hope this is helpful, and hope you get to the bottom of it.

Try: Project Repair Kit. An absolute must-have for anyone willing to find out how to repair MS Project file contents with a few clicks and without leaving their workplace. This corrupt MS Project file repair software saves money and time by letting users restore their data on their own and forget about expensive specialized services.
For more information: https://www.project.repair/

As it works you will find here: http://ww7.filerepairforum.com