Destopicons and task bar

Closed
DEEZY - Mar 15, 2009 at 04:10 AM
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 - Mar 15, 2009 at 08:24 AM
Hello,
my destop is inactive and my icons dispeared and the task bar any help to recover them please.
Related:

1 response

brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40
Mar 15, 2009 at 08:24 AM
Hi There Sorry to hear you are having trouble.
I'm not sure but this may be a virus infection many people back in 2003 had the same problem they noticed that their desktop is empty at boot time and can only control applications is through using the the Task Manager "Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

One problem seems to stem from Adware from "Adware Dynamic by Dynamic Destop Media" which requires the user to install the program first usually from the browser when visiting a website.

To see if you are infected with this Adware Use CTRL+ALT+DELETE to bring up the Task Manager, Select the Processes Tab and look through the list for sysu.exe.

Then Kill the Process and Close it and locate the folder C:\Program Files\dmm and delete it.

You will then have to edit the registry.

Now, if your desktop suddenly returns to normal, then yes, you've got this virus. You're not out of the woods yet. There is probably a folder on your machine called 'C:\Program Files\ddm'. Delete that, of course. You'll probably also want to search your registry for the string 'ddm' and kill most of what you find. In particular the key but before you do that set a System Restore point just in case anything goes wrong.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ddm, and anything under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run and/or RunOnce that refers to 'ddm' or 'sysu.exe'.

The Regedit is something that should be done with extreme caution, or leave to a computer guru friend if you're not comfortable with it.

Hope this helps.
Kindest Regards Tony B.