Black screen

Closed
Nick - Jan 26, 2015 at 03:56 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 27, 2015 at 06:27 PM
Hello,
Alright so when I turn on my windows 8.1 hp touch smart it boots up just fine, and then after I sign in to my computer account it goes to a black screen with nothing but a white curser and I can not do a thing? Anyone know what to do???????!!??????i need my laptop for school

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 27, 2015 at 06:27 PM
This one is a little tricky, because it takes trial and error (and patience) to launch the Windows 8 `recovery mode' when start up sequence is on going. What you need to do is, past the BIOS splash screen, hold down the Shift key and repeatedly hit the F8 key. Doing so should get you to the recovery mode, but it might take a few tries before you achieve that.

Once the Recovery screen is displayed, click the "See advanced repair options" button. In the next screen, hit the Troubleshoot button.

In the troubleshoot menu, click Advanced options, wherein lies Windows Startup Settings. Choose that.

The next screen will ask you to restart your PC, after which you'll see the familiar Advanced Boot Option screen - the same one that's been around since Windows XP - and you can choose Safe Mode here. Make sure you select Safe Mode with command prompt.

Once you're logged into safe mode and the command shell is open, type the following code and hit enter: sfc /scannow

Let it do it's thing and when it's done it will say 100% complete.

You can now reboot and your computer should function normally.