DVD-RW in new case no longer plays lil help?

Closed
ninasmommy - Mar 31, 2009 at 09:52 AM
 ninasmommy - Apr 1, 2009 at 06:56 AM
Hello,
I have a DVD-RW drive that came out of a complete gateway that was bought off the line with everything already installed and running, like one of those package deals you get from Wal-Mart. We were having problems with electrical in our house burning out the computer, but thought it was actually the computer burning itself out. We scrapped the gateway, and took the usable parts and put them in a new case with new motherboard. Now my DVD-RW won't read any kind of DVD, only cd's or games, and I can't burn any of my home movies from my camera to a disc. I've tried downloading drivers, but I read somewhere that it doesn't have drivers to begin with. I don't have the Gateway CD that came with all the original software for these parts. Anyone have any ideas on what I need to do to get this one up and running, or should I just scrap it and buy a whole new DVD-RW drive? Thanks much.

Lisa
da nina's mommy
Related:

1 response

tapemask Posts 8 Registration date Tuesday September 2, 2008 Status Member Last seen April 1, 2009 1
Apr 1, 2009 at 03:48 AM
hi,
the electrical problem you had might have damaged the lense or affected the frequency of the lazer beam.
that is why it cannot read DVDs as a particular frequency of light is used for that as well as for burning CDs.
get it replaced or use it as a CD reader only.
We thought it might have been that too. The electrical problem that we had was burning out the power supply, and when I replaced the power supply before scraping the gateway, the DVD burner was working fine. It wasn't until I put it in this new case and put a regular version of Windows on here that I found that I couldn't use it as a DVD burner or player. And with not having the gateway cd to even explore to find the right drivers for the burner, I fell like I'm still a bit stuck. Anyone else have any ideas?

Lisa M
da nina's mommy