Dual monitor Disaster

Closed
tychion Posts 3 Registration date Friday August 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 14, 2015 - Aug 14, 2015 at 04:54 PM
 Blocked Profile - Aug 17, 2015 at 05:20 PM
I just bought a new monitor and tried to set up dual monitors. I had my new one as the main one but I couldn't see my desktop icons, I could only see my toolbar. When I switched to the old monitor and made that one the main one, I could see icons but nothing else. When I tried to make my new one the main one again, I couldn't because the screen to choose the option was stuck on the monitor which I couldn't see. My second monitor kept saying entering power save mode so I couldn't use it. So I had my second monitor display on the new monitor and I couldn't change my display back to the main monitor where I can go to the control panel and other things. I have an hdmi plugged into my computer going into the monitor and I had a vga cord for my old one and it kept saying entering power save mode. I also had another hdmi slot on my computer but that also came up with entering power save mode when I tried to use that too. So I just restarted my computer and now I can't see anything. I don't know how I can troubleshoot without seeing anything. My new monitor is black and when I unplugged that to see if the second one would show up, it was just black off the start up too. I'm so frustrated I need help. I know this can be confusing so ask me any questions if you need help understanding because it's kinda hard to explain.
Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 14, 2015 at 08:22 PM
MOnitors can be finicky!

Hook up one monitor first. Get the screen on it. Then hook up the other. Reboot. If you are trying to do this stuff without rebooting, you are never going to get it to work. Understand, your HDMI slot is a DISPLAY PORT. If you are using VGA and Display, the VGA is best to be the PRIMARY Screen, and then PRESS WINDOWS KEY AND P. Oh you never told us what O/S. I hope windows key and P will bring up the display settings. If it does, then press duplicate and get the desktop on both screens first. THEN TWEEK IT AFTER THAT!
tychion Posts 3 Registration date Friday August 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 14, 2015
Aug 14, 2015 at 09:11 PM
What do you mean by " If you are using VGA and Display, the VGA is best to be the PRIMARY Screen, and then PRESS WINDOWS KEY AND P." Im using Windows 7 too
tychion Posts 3 Registration date Friday August 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 14, 2015
Aug 14, 2015 at 09:21 PM
Also now my computer doesn't even detect my new monitor
Blocked Profile
Aug 17, 2015 at 04:44 PM
Well VGA is the OLDER style of connection, while display is the new HDMI (ALTHOUGH NOT HDMI) connection.

The windows Key and P will bring up a a side panel to ask you what you wish to do with the other monitor. If your PC doen't even boot up and recognize the two monitors, then you have more of an issue than just configuration it.
Blocked Profile
Aug 17, 2015 at 05:03 PM
Does your PC support dual outputs?

some motherboards are one or the other...

Have you got an additional graphics card?

some BIOS will disable the onboard adapter if there is a card present.

you can turn the onboard on if this is the case.

If there are two things i hate..

it's monitors and printers.
Blocked Profile
Aug 17, 2015 at 05:20 PM
oooh, monitors and printers, spoken like a "users" Champion!