How to change word in cell using another word in another cell

Solved/Closed
Cherietan - Oct 1, 2015 at 03:27 AM
Cherietan Posts 5 Registration date Thursday October 1, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 13, 2016 - Apr 13, 2016 at 01:01 AM
Hello,

I have 2 qns

1) Everytime i enter "Sells" in a cell i want another cell to appear "to" and in the same cell if i key "Buys" i want the other cell to show "from"

2) I have a list of names that i have categorized into 3 groups.
1st group is "SEF"
2nd group is "NON SEF"
3rd group is "SEF AND NON SEF"

When i key in a name from the list into one cell i want another cell to appear if it is from the group "SEF" or "NON SEF" or "SEF AND NON SEF"

PLEASE HELP!!!!! IDK HOW TO GOOGLE THIS PROBLEM Have been trying but i dont understand.

thank you!!!

Related:

1 response

Uzhavan Posts 1 Registration date Thursday October 1, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 1, 2015
Oct 1, 2015 at 04:44 AM
Hi Cherietan,

1) You can use the IF command like this:
=IF(B2="Sells","to",IF(B2="Buys","from",""))

Assuming that cells in column B have the words sells or buys...you can paste this formula in column C.

2) Try to use lookup command:
=LOOKUP($H2,$E$2:$E$9,$F$2:$F$9)

Assuming the list is in column E and Group name is in column F
Cherietan Posts 5 Registration date Thursday October 1, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 13, 2016
Oct 1, 2015 at 08:03 PM
Hi I tried the code but it just appears in the cell like =IF(E17="Sells","to",IF(E17="Buys","from",""))

Do i have to add anything extra? Thanks for replying though!!! :)
Cherietan Posts 5 Registration date Thursday October 1, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 13, 2016
Oct 1, 2015 at 08:37 PM
The look up command also doesnt work! :( ohdear. the formula just appears in my cell as =LOOKUP($M17,$U1:U50,$V1:V50)

hmmm am i doing anything wrong
RayH Posts 122 Registration date Tuesday August 31, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen June 20, 2016 26
Oct 1, 2015 at 09:52 PM
The cell is likely formatted as TEXT, change it to GENERAL and try again.
Omg yes I changed it to general and it works!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!
Oct 7, 2015 at 08:14 PM
Hi i have another question... this one is more complicated. for example...

i have 10 names.

aa bb cc dd ee ff gg hh ii jj . aa bb cc are under the sef group.

dd ee ff are non sef.

gg hh ii jj are sef and non sef

When i key jj like what i followed ur previous instructions, it will come as sef and non sef. however i want to do an instruction

if i enter aa in one cell and bb in one cell , a third cell will come out as sef,

and if i key aa in one cell and gg in one cell, a third cell will still appear as sef. (because as long a name can do sef and non sef and if it meets a sef name, it has to be sef)

when i enter dd and gg i want the third cell to appear as non sef because gg can do sef and non sef.

sef names meets sef names = sef
sef names meets non sef names = error
sef names meets CERTAIN non sef & sef names = sef
non sef names meets CERTAIN non sef & sef = non sef

i wonder if u unds my qns

thanks!!