Hard drive not working

Closed
ashu - Oct 14, 2015 at 02:21 AM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Oct 14, 2015 at 03:27 AM
Hello,
my segate hard drive or 2 Tb was working till this afternoon. but suddeny it has stopped working now and showing this message " The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". i have a window 10 laptop. please advise how to make to work.

Related:

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Oct 14, 2015 at 03:27 AM
Hey there, ashu.

Would you please open Disk Management and let me know what you see there about the drive, or even better - post a screenshot of it?
Is this an internal drive or an external one? If it's an external drive, go ahead and try it with a different computer and a different USB cable (preferably shorter than 12"). If it's an internal HDD, try it with a different SATA port and cables if possible, to see if the same thing happens. Other than that, you could try accessing it via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD, to see if it's properly recognized and if you can get to your data, or try with data recovery software.
On the other hand, if you don't need your data, you could try running the "chkdsk" command: open CMD (Command Prompt) as administrator and type: chkdsk X: /r /f (where "X" is the letter of the drive you wish to check, so don't forget to change it). Press "enter" and wait for the process to finish, to see if that fixes the problem.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative