Laptop to USB to SATA not detected

Closed
XIxBloodShotxIX - Oct 27, 2015 at 12:30 AM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Nov 12, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Hey everyone, I have an issue where I have an external HDD (1TB WD10EZEX Blue 64mb Cache) connected to a SATA2.5/3.5 to a USB with a power supply, to my Lenovo Laptop. It is spinning, so it IISS on, but I have no folder for it. It isn't popping up in my bottom right panel, saying "EJECT USB", nothing.

I am new with computer stuff, I use this HDD for my xbox. And instead of sending files over FTP, id like to save time and electric by just unplugging it from the xbox, to my laptop to transfer, then right back to the xbox.

Any advice will be tested! THANKS!
Related:

2 responses

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Oct 27, 2015 at 04:06 AM
Hey there, XIxBloodShotxIX.

This drive model isn't external actually. It's a WD Blue drive, which is an internal HDD. I guess you could probably use it with an external enclosure or a SATA to USB adapter with an Xbox. Although I think the drive needs to be formatted by the console before you're able to use it with it properly.
Would you please post a screenshot of what you see in Disk Management about this HDD and its partitions when you connect it to a copmputer? You could download DLG (Data Lifeguard Diagnostics) and run both tests (Quick and Extended), to see if any errors or bad sectors pop-up. Here's how to do that: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=6X6oIm

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative
I have pictures, but the xbox it is connected to is a modded xbox. It runs, I have memory when it is mounted to the xbox, but the computer just will not detect it. What can I do to be able to transfer files from the laptop to the WD Blue.
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Nov 12, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Well it really sounds like it has something to do with the way the console formats the drive. If you can post Disk Manager's screenshots with the drive connected, it might shed some light on what's happening. Otherwise, I'd suggest that you get in touch with Xbox's customer support for further information on how to solve this issue.