Memory Stick Files Changed?

Closed
DesktopDrum Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday November 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 24, 2015 - Nov 17, 2015 at 09:54 PM
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 - Nov 24, 2015 at 11:15 PM
Today I went into the files of my memory stick, but a few of the folders had randomly been converted to the file type "File" instead of "Folder File." Now I can't open the folders, and I can't access the stuff I have within each folder. How can I change these files back?

Thanks!
Related:

2 responses

Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Nov 24, 2015 at 02:15 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

Follow the below instructions

Step 1:

Click on the below link and download the file "AutorunExterminator"

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/5911-autorun-exterminator/

[Note : Make sure Dot Net Framework is installed in your PC to install the

"AutorunExterminator" OR

Click on the below link and download the Dot Net Framework

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=19]

Extract it --> Double-click on "AutorunExterminator" --> Plug your flash drive now.

This will remove the autorun.inf files from your flash drive and also from drives.

Step 2:

Click on "Start" -->Run --> type cmd and click on OK.

Here I assume your flash drive letter as G:

Enter this command.

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

You can copy the above command --> Right-click in the Command Prompt and

paste it.

Note : Don't forget to replace the letter g with your flash drive letter.

Now press "Enter".

Now check for your files in Flash Drive.

Step 3:

After that, download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the below link

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Update it --> Perform "Full Scan"

Note : Default selected option is "Quick Scan".

Good Luck.
DesktopDrum Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday November 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 24, 2015
Nov 24, 2015 at 11:56 AM
I downloaded the AutoRunExterminator, but I already had the Dot Net Framework on my computer.

When I double click, the AutoRunExterminator does not do anything. (I have extracted it.) It just pulls up a box that says, "The publisher could not be verified... Are you sure you want to run this software?" I clicked run, but after that nothing happened.

Under the assumption that maybe it would do what it was supposed to do- even thought it did not pull up anything else for me to do- I continued to your Step 2 and entered the command.

My files were still "File" type, not "Folder File" type.

Thank you, though, for the suggestion. Is there anything else you can think of?
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Nov 24, 2015 at 11:15 PM
Did you run Malwarebytes?
BashirYazbik Posts 58 Registration date Monday November 9, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 6, 2015 14
Nov 17, 2015 at 11:30 PM
Have you tried to run a scan lately through an antivirus/anti-malware software. Some of malware trouble is that they encrypt your files.
If you don't have those installed you can find free antivirus/malware.

I advise that you run this scan first and than setup auto backup of your files.
I hope this will help.
DesktopDrum Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday November 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 24, 2015
Nov 18, 2015 at 12:05 PM
What software would you recommend? I don't want to download a program that does something to my computer or messes up my files worse than they already are.
BashirYazbik Posts 58 Registration date Monday November 9, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 6, 2015 14
Nov 19, 2015 at 05:46 PM
Antivirus:
if you have a genuine window, i recommend "windows security essential" as antivirus for windows Vista and 7. For windows 8 and 10 is is automatically installed as windows defender. You just need to give it permission to run and it is free.

Anti-malware:
Malwarebytes is free. you can install it for free. that's why it will not monitor your laptop, but you can do weekly scans. You can download it through this link:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/

If you need more help please let me know.
DesktopDrum Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday November 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 24, 2015 > BashirYazbik Posts 58 Registration date Monday November 9, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 6, 2015
Nov 23, 2015 at 09:56 PM
I just ran both scans. Nothing was found on either scan, both when I scanned the computer and then just the memory stick.

However, I also need a program that will convert the "File" files to "Folder File" files, because I cannot enter the folder any more. Is there such a program that can reverse this conversion?